I dont believe there is sufficient performance difference between 'cheaper' and 'more expensive SSD' to make any difference- 3 years ago there was - these days I havent seen anything in any 3rd party performance testing to indicate it would make a difference-
Run test G with different drives and email me-

I cant imagine any PCI raid controller being at all useful with SSD -
these things are designed to deal with things that simply do not occur with SSD- There are no access times with SSD
PCI raid controllers are designed to deal with access time latencies

----

I count drop frames in all my proper testing my performance graphs count drop frame - my testing HUD counts drop frames- i suggest you take a look at performance G - i have done very long term testing-

And run it to see where you are getting dropped frames-

There are a number of Operating system things ( the OS can go away and do something for a while - some house keeping ) - this is minimised by turning off everything you can like spotlight - on all discs

synchronisation things- VGA/DVI display rates not being the same as broadcast -

And performance things - with slower discs- performance is usually the lowest factor these days

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
A point is that larger slower SSDs are cheaper than smaller faster ones.

I mention SSD raid For capacity reasons as opposed to speed. The speed part I can make back up by using a PCI raid controller. I am referring to Raid controllers cards with on board processing.

I'll say I'm jumping the gun a little based on rumors of the up and coming release of the new Mac Pros which are supposed to boast Xeon 5600 6 core chips, USB 3.0, and SATA r3.

As far as audio though, I have never seen a situation where an HD video file didn't drop frames at some point coming from a software based media server. Yes, it's negligible and most people will never notice but it's still not satisfactory for broadcast.