Thread: Final CUT Pro X - abomination

Hybrid View

Richard, let me disagree... as editor, working with computers and video since the mid 80's I have to say that FCP X it's the 1st real step ahead since the timeline was invented.

I have worked with many systems... now afters a few months of using FCPX, the rest of apps seems to me as old as going back to U-Matic editors. It's ultra fast, I do the same as before in half the time... it's a sample of the future of the editing... obviously, there are lot's of lacks, but this is why is version 0... just a "taste" of what is coming.

fine to disagree- i have been doing this a long time too- i used to edit with real film - back in the day - on steenbecks or similar - you don't even have twin AB rolls on these devices- I'm a film guy - not a video guy - i started on film- not umatic-

but i just hit a brick wall trying to use it to edit after around 15 minutes of trying-
    so maybe it just doesn't suit my way of editing at all-

editing is an indeterminate thing - its an indeterminate process - you don't know the answer to an edit- whats going to work or not work-

editing is like feeling in the dark for the creative solution to creating a meaning - through an intuition - through an emotion - through a connection-
    actually the technology is irrelevant - unless it gets in the way

its the way you feel the cut - or the way the cut works - it doesn't have to be precise-

but you lay it out in a certain way - opening it up- you don't work in one direction

creating little sequences- on separate reels - asking questions like - how will these pieces join together-

---

but as a tool - they removed many pieces that people still use- and so do my clients.
    projects don't develop from 'tasters' thats bullshit - this isn't a way to treat your clients in any industry- you don't throw your 10 year old product in the bin - unless you have an agenda.

I'm a developer- there is an agenda here - that isn't obvious

Quote Originally Posted by jjrecort View Post
    Richard, let me disagree... as editor, working with computers and video since the mid 80's I have to say that FCP X it's the 1st real step ahead since the timeline was invented.

I have worked with many systems... now afters a few months of using FCPX, the rest of apps seems to me as old as going back to U-Matic editors. It's ultra fast, I do the same as before in half the time... it's a sample of the future of the editing... obviously, there are lot's of lacks, but this is why is version 0... just a "taste" of what is coming.

oh - the agenda-

well apple considers 'quicktime' as legacy - obsolete -

and so is removing it from all its products - and doesn't want any dependancy on it moving forwards- the 64 bit 32 bit performance hype is nonsense-

hence the removal of massive amounts of functionality for final cut X- all the 'legacy' stuff - the stuff that does things that people actually use...
    like proper video capture- like proper video output- all these use 'legacy' obsoleted API - for which there is no equivalent replacement.
    The reason they couldn't update final cut was - they killed the api's it relied on... but didn't replace them with anything anywhere near as complete

and replacing it with something that works on its iPhones and iPads.... making people use h264 -

well that causes a little problem for people who actually use quicktime to get things done.

you know - i just opened it up again

they removed my entire editing workflow... something that took me a long while to develop
    i use sub clips and sequences to edit-

i hate the single window interface-
    i hate the fact i can't drag clips where i want them on the timeline-
    adding space before and after things-
    i hate the fact i can't set in and out points on the timeline to export
    i hate the fact it moves my clips around on the timeline when i don't want it to- opening and closing things up- if i want it on track 3- i want it to stay there-
    i hate being unable to save versions of edits - when i want to save them
    i hate not having the ability to enable or disable everything on a track- to try or test things out-
    i can't locate media accurately from old projects- or old discs - i can't use lo-res proxies
    i can't lay out my sound tracks-

i edit with multiple sequences at the same time -
    i have multiple sequence types
    i use multiple bins with clips in- of different types-
    i log clips and create sub-clips with different takes - where are sub-clips?
    I'm absolutely baffled by the concept of 'events' - i never edited anything like this- i edit sequences - then put them together

Quote Originally Posted by jjrecort View Post

Better switch to Adobe Premiere then

Hugh

i switched from premiere in 2002?

didn't adobe attempt a redesign of premiere - premiere 6?
    which was horrible and broken

then they ditched the mac version-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Premiere_Pro

--

I'm old enough to remember the lightworks vs avid stuff

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?
    option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=20&id=9858&Itemi d=269

Premiere Pro has been a Mac/Windows application for several years.

Many Pro FCP users dishearted by FCP X are having a stab at it - it's not perfect, but at least it follows a professional workflow and has tight integration with other Adobe applications.

Hugh

Steinauer opened the talk by explaining how this year’s Oscar nominees, Social Network andTrue Grit, as well as all of the documentary film nominees, were edited on Final Cut Pro. He claimed a 94% customer satisfaction with the software and noted that they were growing “our base more than twice as fast as the NLE market place competition.” He added that the competition (Avid and Adobe Premiere) were “in the race for second place,” hovering around twenty percent of the market each, while Apple’s Final Cut Pro holds over fifty percent of the NLE market.
    94% customer satisfaction?
    so why did they turn it into iMovie?? remove all the pro stuff - import and export? backwards and forwards compatibility?
    when it was working so well?

http://masteringfilm.com/apples-fina...quite-like-it/

Richard

Got to say it is well worth looking at premier now, since the FCPX train wreck I have made the jump and I'm very impressed. I know there are a lot of folks like your self that jumped ship to FCP, during the WTF Adobe days, who are impressed with CS5 and above. Only real negatives are the multicam setup which is limited to 4 cameras, and no ref files, but if that is a issue I still have FCP "Classic"to fall back on. can even setup using final cut keyboard short cuts. Plus the support of more codecs and containers is a boon not needing to rewrap or encode for editing is a real plus, particulary on rehearsals where you need to pull some content out of the air at midnite and your loading out to the first show(not that EVER happens).

Until FCPX can do the basics I need, I won't waste my money on it, better spent on a plug in for AFX... plus the events thing is @$£%. More concerning is the QT direction and how long we have till it is EOLed.

Phil
    Philip G Haynes
    Live Visual Design and Direction