Thread: Mac Mini Suggestions

Hybrid View

Todd,

As a matter of interest are you running your Mac Minis with Mac OS 10.6.x Server or bog standard Mac OS 10.6.x?

I have a couple of newish Mac Minis which I run as a single SATA with an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD drive. I must say the performance is not as good as I hoped.

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Butterfly View Post
    As a matter of interest are you running your Mac Minis with Mac OS 10.6.x Server or bog standard Mac OS 10.6.x?
    I have tested both SLS and SL and have actually seen slightly better results using the Server. However, because of how the directory system works on the Server is it quite difficult for a user to setup and make changes to. Therefore I wouldn't use it in application with the current Catalyst Software.

However, the middleware application I've been working on will definitely leverage the Server OS in ways beyond what the other can do. But that's not available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Butterfly View Post
    I have a couple of newish Mac Minis which I run as a single SATA with an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD drive. I must say the performance is not as good as I hoped.
    The performance is not as good on the SATA port of the New Unibody Mac Minis as it was on the Older White Ones. Because the processor is faster though, the new Mac Minis have very similar capabilities.

The Graphics device on the New Mac Minis uses the System Processor and System Memory as opposed to a standalone graphics card. This is seeming to be the biggest reason they are not as hot as expected.

However, it makes sense when you consider that the new Mac Mini is designed to be a headless server running web and network services.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised