Thread: BRC 300s... any luck?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    same way as usual using the rs422/232 commands

i do a dmx to rs232 / 422 conversion

its been used for well over a year.

the cameras have limits and they cant be controlled fast - which is why people have to test
    Cool. Thanks Richard.
    I knew you could control them via the Sony remote/base, but I never tried directly controlling them without it....
    ...I'm guessing that the movements and response are better when controlling them through the remote as it probably "smooths out" some of that weird resolution loss between RS-232/422 and DMX?
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Postma View Post
    Cool. Thanks Richard.
    I knew you could control them via the Sony remote/base, but I never tried directly controlling them without it....
    ...I'm guessing that the movements and response are better when controlling them through the remote as it probably "smooths out" some of that weird resolution loss between RS-232/422 and DMX?
    the cameras only do one thing at once- movement zooming or whatever -

and they dont accept any new commands until the last one has finished-

so you cant do more than one thing at a time - and this is a camera thing -
    it means you cant do smooth movements for example- this is how the cameras work - you cant use them as hot heads with live panning etc.
    but the hysterisis in position repeatability is reasonable for a unit this size.

so you have to test to see if it does what you need to do-

there isnt any weird dmx/rs232 resolution loss- the integer number resolution is the same.

I tried several cameras from DMX. It's a nightmare for busking and for quick cues. It worked great for a timecode show though after I figured out the bugs. The simple solution is to test and repeat the transitions from one focus to the next.

On another note, you can use Catalyst as a switcher from a DMX desk and there are even some tricks to get preview.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    I tried several cameras from DMX. It's a nightmare for busking and for quick cues. It worked great for a timecode show though after I figured out the bugs. The simple solution is to test and repeat the transitions from one focus to the next.

On another note, you can use Catalyst as a switcher from a DMX desk and there are even some tricks to get preview.
    they arent intended for live control or quick cues or live moves

they are not hot heads.

there is no effective speed control. and they do not move pan tilt axis together proportionally

the cameras only move one parameter at once, and they will not do anything else until one move has finished.