fine to disagree- i have been doing this a long time too- i used to edit with real film - back in the day - on steenbecks or similar - you don't even have twin AB rolls on these devices- I'm a film guy - not a video guy - i started on film- not umatic-

but i just hit a brick wall trying to use it to edit after around 15 minutes of trying-
so maybe it just doesn't suit my way of editing at all-

editing is an indeterminate thing - its an indeterminate process - you don't know the answer to an edit- whats going to work or not work-

editing is like feeling in the dark for the creative solution to creating a meaning - through an intuition - through an emotion - through a connection-
actually the technology is irrelevant - unless it gets in the way

its the way you feel the cut - or the way the cut works - it doesn't have to be precise-

but you lay it out in a certain way - opening it up- you don't work in one direction

creating little sequences- on separate reels - asking questions like - how will these pieces join together-

---

but as a tool - they removed many pieces that people still use- and so do my clients.
projects don't develop from 'tasters' thats bullshit - this isn't a way to treat your clients in any industry- you don't throw your 10 year old product in the bin - unless you have an agenda.

I'm a developer- there is an agenda here - that isn't obvious

Quote Originally Posted by jjrecort View Post
Richard, let me disagree... as editor, working with computers and video since the mid 80's I have to say that FCP X it's the 1st real step ahead since the timeline was invented.

I have worked with many systems... now afters a few months of using FCPX, the rest of apps seems to me as old as going back to U-Matic editors. It's ultra fast, I do the same as before in half the time... it's a sample of the future of the editing... obviously, there are lot's of lacks, but this is why is version 0... just a "taste" of what is coming.