Thread: Full Cat4 Manual

fiftynine Guest

Full Cat4 Manual

Hi there,

We are in the process of buying Catalyst 4, but I am wanting to get fully up to speed with all features and setup before it arrives. Time is of the essence!

I have obviously got the demo of Cat4, but I would greatly appreciate a full manual going back to the foundations of Catalyst. The new release document only gives info for the new features, and only the broadest possible overview of the product, which isn't really any use to me. I need to know about details like about things like soft-edging between two projectors, triggering via different systems (HogPC, Mackie MIDI, basic DMX), and how best to record and execute presets. The new release document seems to assume in depth knowledge of the software, and while I have used it a few times for demo purposews, I really need to know it inside out.

Is there a full manual available online anywhere?

Cheers,

The full V4 manual is in the works. It was almost finished and now it is being revised again for newly added features. I feel sorry for the technical writer, since she is the only one that writes for High End's products. With the release of new Hog software, Axon, and the ever-changing, ever-revised Catalyst, I cannot imagine how much she has on her plate. The real answer? Very soon.

Currently, what I recommend is to review the V3 manual for your basics and then work off the 'What's New in Version 4' manual for the software features that were added or changed... thus far.

When the complete manual for V4 is complete, I will post an announcement on both forums.
    Leah Durrett
    Catalyst Guru
    CatalystGirl@gmail.com

fiftynine Guest
    Okay - but where is the V3 manual?

Many thanks,

On the High End website under support. Here is the link. Download the v3.3 manual. http://www.highend.com/support/digit...tware_Only.asp
    Leah Durrett
    Catalyst Guru
    CatalystGirl@gmail.com

fiftynine Guest
    Any idea when the Cat4 manual is due? I'm finding lots of holes in the release differences between Cat3 and 4. For example, where can I get more info on soft-edging between two projectors?

Many thanks,

We will have a manual out hopefully by the end of this week or next. We may have more pages to add after that.

Leah
    Leah Durrett
    Catalyst Guru
    CatalystGirl@gmail.com

Bumping this up.

Now that Catalyst has been handed back, are there any plans to write/complete a comprehensive manual for V4. Referencing back to the HES v3.2 manual is becoming increasingly useless as it doesn't address new features or operating in standalone mode.

More recently, I can't find anything on how to use midi triggers as the V3.2 manual only deals with midi timecode. Or maybe there is written documentation that I'm not aware of regarding this? Trawling the forums is fine if you have loads of time, but mostly I don't and want to just turn to the point in the manual that tells me how to do something.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kmclights View Post
    Bumping this up.

Now that Catalyst has been handed back, are there any plans to write/complete a comprehensive manual for V4. Referencing back to the HES v3.2 manual is becoming increasingly useless as it doesn't address new features or operating in standalone mode.

More recently, I can't find anything on how to use midi triggers as the V3.2 manual only deals with midi timecode. Or maybe there is written documentation that I'm not aware of regarding this? Trawling the forums is fine if you have loads of time, but mostly I don't and want to just turn to the point in the manual that tells me how to do something.

Kevin
    with respect to Leah's post above - unfortunately HES never got close to a finished v4 manual.

there is a built in web manual accessed from the help menu in v4.
    and a whats new document.
    These are not based on any HES manual.
    it doesnt have everything - but its getting better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	help menu.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webmanual.jpg 
Views:	887 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	350  

Quote Originally Posted by kmclights View Post
    More recently, I can't find anything on how to use midi triggers as the V3.2 manual only deals with midi timecode.Kevin
    what kindof midi triggers?