Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G5 Pro and V3

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    there isnt a universal binary build of v3
    ah.. that's what i thought, thanks

I have 2 Ggs of RAM, 1 one top of the standard edition,... I really don't feel any real changes in playback movies with Catalyst, the speed changes (regarding RAM) only happens when I export movies form Quicktime to optmize the library.
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by RedLightning
    How much RAM have you installed.
    I have spent the last couple of days setting up my new Macpro, the challenge I am finding is that no one is stocking the RAM, I just have the base gig at this point, which obviously needs to go up...

Thanks for the advice on the Apple RAID, I have set mine up the same ( but using 3-500gig Western Digital drives... just under 1.4 TB of usable space...

-s
    if you use big raids - create small partitions - much smaller than the disc- say 1/3 the size - then the access times for content will be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    if you use big raids - create small partitions - much smaller than the disc- say 1/3 the size - then the access times for content will be faster.
    So I should build a couple of partions instead of 1 1.4tb RAID?
    I thought the advantage of a striped RAID was the ability to have a large drive set without a bunch of partions?

Which block size 256K?

Thanks for all your help.

-s

Quote Originally Posted by RedLightning
    So I should build a couple of partions instead of 1 1.4tb RAID?
    I thought the advantage of a striped RAID was the ability to have a large drive set without a bunch of partions?

Which block size 256K?

Thanks for all your help.

-s
    seek time. you lower the seek times if you have smaller partitions.

but this is just an idea.

generally for most people a single fast drive works better than any combination of slower raided drives.
    unless doing uncompressed video type things - which you dont really need to do in almost all applications.

Makes sense.
    Thanks

-s