And the ideas Blow Me Away!

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
These guys put 7 HD's inside a mac pro....

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-10-04/#5993
Richard, Emiliano
I was blown away by an Epiphany today and these two posts reflect the results of that.
I have been researching the system configuration shown in the article above and have derived the following results.
First of all, By removing the CD drives and putting in the modified HD Drive Bay, we can add three drives of whatever we want. I did some further investigation, and found that I can assemble a rig where drives can be configured 2 x 2 instead allowing for four total additional drives. There would be a requirement for additional fans but looking at the Optical drive shuttle, I am relatively sure that something could be machined to make a four drive modular SCSI bay with added cooling to make sure that the flow-through into the power supply was sufficient to vent the PS heat as well as the new additional heat from the SCSI disks. I am a bit concerned with the power capacity of the PS but I can always check with Apple. If everything is within acceptable ranges then I would propose the following configuration.
Mac Pro Configuration:

Apple Configuration:

· 2 x 3.0GHz Dual Core Xeon
· 4 x 1Gb Memory Simms
· Quadro FX 4500 Video Card
Buss Configuration:

· PCI Express Slot 1: Video Card
· PCI Express Slot 2: Atto ExpressPCI UL5D
· PCI Express Slot 3: Atto ExpressPCI UL5D
· PCI Express Slot 4: Blackmagic Decklink HD Pro PCIe
New Drive Chassis:

· Slot 1: 146Gb 15k Disk on Controller 1a
· Slot 2: 146Gb 15k Disk on Controller 1b
· Slot 3: 146Gb 15k Disk on Controller 2a
· Slot 4: 146Gb 15k Disk on Controller 2b
Existing Drive Chassis:

· Slot 1: 500Gb SATA Disk (dual boot partitions)
· Slot 2: 500Gb SATA Disk (RAID 5 disk 1)
· Slot 3: 500Gb SATA Disk (RAID 5 disk 2)
· Slot 4: 500Gb SATA Disk (RAID 5 disk 3)
If we start with a preconfigured Mac Pro, the I?m estimating only an additional $5000 in hardware for capture card, SCSI cards, and SCSI disks to make this a viable solution. This would then be the HD solution for running 4 layers of 720p HD across two outputs or perhaps 2 Layers of 1080p HD on a single output.

We could then run the widescreen configuration to two projectors for out 720p solution or use a Triple Head 2 Go on a single output to three projectors for our 1080p solution.