Thread: Sync across machines 4.01 m66UB

Sync across machines 4.01 m66UB

I've always had subtle sync issuse across my Cats since 3.3. Of course things have gotten better but the jump from 3.3 to 4.01 on my 10.3.x machine showed small gain and less jumpiness.
    When I would run 4.01 on 10.4.6, it almost seemed worse. Today I tested 4.0.6 m66UB on 10.4.6 (clean install of everything, drives zeroed, content fresh). I am still having sync issues. Sharing is off and only network connections are Cat machines and switch.
    Normally it wouldn't matter but because I'm using edge blending and my files are exactly side by side, I have the hard line that shows the jitter. I'm been through both forums forever on this trying to find solutions.

Here's a thought though, since I need Audio on some of my files, I would assume just have another media server to run audio only. Isn't this what SAMSC is for? The big question, is if there is DMX control for SAMSC? Since I'm the one running the audio cues, I need to be the one running the audio from my lighting console. What do you suggest? What is the most reliable sync option for Catalyst layers (to give me the best looking playback)? Why I'm at it, what is the best TimeCode Generation software or hardware I can get to timecode my shows?
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild
    Here's a thought though, since I need Audio on some of my files, I would assume just have another media server to run audio only. Isn't this what SAMSC is for? The big question, is if there is DMX control for SAMSC? Since I'm the one running the audio cues, I need to be the one running the audio from my lighting console. What do you suggest? What is the most reliable sync option for Catalyst layers (to give me the best looking playback)? Why I'm at it, what is the best TimeCode Generation software or hardware I can get to timecode my shows?

Hello you can play .aiff audio into catalyst as well . Don't need SAMSC to do it .

just a remark :

Don't use audio only file , Richard raccomand to use a Black Video + Audio .
    It's easy to do by using iMovie .

Save the iMovie project as movie ,

the in cat use Play Audio ( preset 70 )

and boom the audio it'a playing .

If your video movie have audio in it just make sure the audio it's not compressed .

Richard say that it's better to use uncompressed audio ( I think it's less CPU usage )

Note :

I did not try it yet on catalyst but , Qt allow you to use 24 audio tracks in a single movie .
    to play 24 tracks you will need a 24 output audio card .

I repeat I did not try this on catalyst yet . I just try it on a simple quicktime movie played via QT player .

The only problem I found about audio on cat it's the playback control , if you have to play a 10 minute tracks it will be not easy to manage it in the cue list timind .
    Once the sequance as start if you stop the ql runing the audio will keep playing .

. You also have a dmx channel to control the audio volume for the specificated layer .

A firewire audio box it's raccomanded , it will sound better of the internal card .
    Or you cen use the optical output if on the other side the audio guy can read optcal .

I hope this help

Emiliano

I've always had subtle sync issuse across my Cats since 3.3. Of course things have gotten better but the jump from 3.3 to 4.01 on my 10.3.x machine showed small gain and less jumpiness.
    When I would run 4.01 on 10.4.6, it almost seemed worse. Today I tested 4.0.6 m66UB on 10.4.6 (clean install of everything, drives zeroed, content fresh). I am still having sync issues. Sharing is off and only network connections are Cat machines and switch.
    Normally it wouldn't matter but because I'm using edge blending and my files are exactly side by side, I have the hard line that shows the jitter. I'm been through both forums forever on this trying to find solutions.

you cant sync with audio- thats an entirely separate issue---

you need audio- you have to run everything from audio - and use some kindof timecode source.

----

also what kindof files are you using - and how many files are you trying to play at the same time?
    I have repeated this many times - there is no magic - if you try to do too much - nothing technical will make it work. you are simply doing too much on a single computer.

You want to do sync - you have to operate very conservatively - well within the capacity of the machine you are using.
    And you have to pay very close attention to the performance and the file type.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    you cant sync with audio- thats an entirely separate issue---
    I think he just want to play a Movie video+ audio , if it's that very easy to do .

playing audio on a single computer is easy-

but you cant sync when playing audio and video from a movie file.
    it doesnt work.

audio takes total priority - as it should.
    this is how this stuff works.

quicktime does all sorts of behind the scenes wrangling to make sure this happens - that i have no access to...

When I would run 4.01 on 10.4.6, it almost seemed worse. Today I tested 4.0.6 m66UB on 10.4.6 (clean install of everything, drives zeroed, content fresh). I am still having sync issues.
    what file type are you using?
    how many files are you trying to play per machine?
    Which hard disc system do you have?

---

you have to pay close attention to the performance of the machine, the hard disc, the movie files, and anything else to make this kindof thing happen.
    generally if its not working - the machine is overloaded- peak performance is more critical.
    and its more critical when you need things to stay in sync- and look visually correct.