Thread: Mac Pro with SCSI or SATA for content?

Hybrid View

RuedigerH Guest

Mac Pro with SCSI or SATA for content?

Richard,

are there actual recommendations from your side regarding MAC PRO and SCSI-systems OR several S-ATA drives?

What is the direction your are working on?

Thank You
    Ruediger

In general - for more layers scsi is better.

for less layers - and maybe Hidef where data throughput is important - raid will be better.

Still collecting data on which SATA drives to test.

some tests here:

http://www.barefeats.com/quad08.htm

media drives...

Hi there.. I can strongly recommand the firmtek 4 drive s-ata bay... With the new model you can put in the new s-ata II disk in. They have the new 3Gb/s interface and if you stripp the 4 drives togeather it is no problem to run 10 layers of video. www.firmtek.com

did you test this yourself?

you rely on firmtek benchmarks - for this information?

SATA Raid

Quote Originally Posted by thomasrotten
    Hi there.. I can strongly recommand the firmtek 4 drive s-ata bay... With the new model you can put in the new s-ata II disk in. They have the new 3Gb/s interface and if you stripp the 4 drives togeather it is no problem to run 10 layers of video. www.firmtek.com
    I run the earlier version of the Firmtek Dual Drive Bay which is SATA 1. When I create 4 drive RAID using WD 74g Raptors I can at best run 4 to 6 layers of DV.

However I also have an Xserve RAID. The major difference is that the caching of the Xserve gives me smooth playback without a dropped frame of at least 5 layers if not 6. I find the SATA RAIDs will drop the occasional frame even though the HUD is telling me I am running at 25 fps on all layers. This can occur even if I am only running one layer. You can even hear the drives make a slight noise when they lose there place.

With SATA II the disk speed hasn't changed just the bandwidth. Without a major increase in disk speed and particularly caching I can't see how ten layers is possible without dropping frames. There is such a big difference between playing back multiple layers in a video editing program such as Final Cut which uses caching and render files versus Catalyst.

Having said all that I would be more than happy to be proved wrong but I find the Xserve has given the best performance so far of the solutions I have tried.

Cheers

Toby

i agree with toby -

but someone sometime might come up with an amazing caching algorithm that makes it work better.

firmtek s-ata...

No the benchmark tests is done with the blackmagic speed test and with 4 maxtor S-ATA II 300 GB disk stripped to raid 0 i get a preformance of 275 MB/s.....

best regards

thomas