Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V4 Dongle - no driver?

V4 Dongle - no driver?

4 x V4 cat system - all dongles UG from V3

Had an issue when I rebooted all of the catalysts using 'restart' from the apple menu. On restarting, catalyst V4 loads (using my delay loader) but none of the dongles seemed to be recognised - and blue bars were seen

I tested this theory 3 times....
    If the catalyst was started from cold, with the 'delay loader script' catalyst was ok - worked fine

If the catalyst was 'restarted' via apple menu - on every occasion - (with or without delay loader script) the catalyst dongles were NOT recognised... ie it didnt seem like the dongle driver was loaded...??

Ive confirmed this 3 times - on each of the 4 catalysts... - is this a bug that anyone else has experienced? Dont think its due to the 'delay loader script' as it does the same thing even without the script on the startup items...

Have advised client to totally shutdown if they have problems, rather than simply restart.... as it seems the only way to solve the issue.....

any comments??

Cheers

S
    Last edited by Mr_P; 09-08-2006 at 12:22 AM.

I have had a similar thing lately with version 3.32 where when I first start up the dongles don't get recognized but if I quit catalyst and restart it works fine. This has only started happening since using the latest version 3.32 and running on 10.4.6. I have updated the dongle drivers even though I am still running PowerPC's but it made no difference. It has happened on both my machines as well as a rental machine that I updated to 3.32.

Cheers

Toby

how did you plug them in?
    Into which port on the computer?
    And which software version of catalyst?

did you install the latest aladdin driver 03/2006?

dongle driver page:
    http://www.aladdin.com/support/hasp/hasp4/enduser.asp

direct link to driver:
    ftp://ftp.aladdin.com/pub/hasp/hl/ma...ler_MacOSX.dmg

I have always had my dongles plugged into the keyboard with no issues in the past. Until Now.

which catalyst software version? -h26? m50?
    which computer?

h25

Original Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 with 9800s

Cheers

Toby

with usb - there is a difference between a cold start, and a restart.

i believe - though things might have changed - that usb power is maintained across the usb bus when a restart is done - meaning that usb devices do not get a cold restart.

i have seen this with keyboards and other things.

care to comment?

Initially I thought the same thing and changed to the front USB connector on the tower. This improved things but there still seemed to be a problem from a cold start.

I will set the systems up again in the next couple of days and try the different combinations.

Cheers

Toby

Was using Catalyst 4.05 m50 PRO on 2 x 2G macs and 2 x 2.7G liquid cooled macs. All dongles were installed on an internal usb port on a pci card - not sure what make (can check tomorrow)

I have been using the latest aladdin driver 03/2006, as these are v4 dongles - they dont work without it... Did have to do a force install on one of the macs previously - otherwise, all the others are pre-installed with the driver which is built in to the disk image I use when re-build the macs after each hire.

Currently using OS10.4.6 with all relevant online updates as of 17/6/06. (haven't tested 10.4.7 with relevant updates yet... )

Your point about usb power maintained across the usb bus when a 'warm restart' is done is interesting... as previously mentioned - a 'cold restart' does seem to allow everything to work correctly - no blue bars seen - wheras a 'warm restart' does seem to cause the blue bars and 'no dongle' / 'no driver found' in the install register box.

However, I have not had any issues when running v3.32 h25 and performing a 'warm restart' with a v3-only dongle . Although that may be due to the fact that I run v3 on 10.3.9 not 10.4.6 (all our cats are dual boot - this leads to less confusion for clients who only use v3.....)

This issue does seem to be a recent occurance - a v4 show I did back in May didnt show any signs of this issue - and there were certainly a lot of restarts back then - warm and cold.... I did think that my 'cat delay loader' script may be the cause - but even when I removed it from the startup items - the problem still occured. - so i guess the script is not the issue. Is there any reason that the dongle driver would not load in time on a 'warm' restart?

will keep testing tomorrow.....

S

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P
    Was using Catalyst 4.05 m50 PRO on 2 x 2G macs and 2 x 2.7G liquid cooled macs. All dongles were installed on an internal usb port on a pci card - not sure what make (can check tomorrow)
    S

there have been reports of problems using internal usb card and tiger- dont know how or why-
    suspect driver model changes.
    can you find out anything about the usb card?
    Are the machines recent or old?

in particular cib has been reported not to work if plugged into usb card on some cards.