Was using Catalyst 4.05 m50 PRO on 2 x 2G macs and 2 x 2.7G liquid cooled macs. All dongles were installed on an internal usb port on a pci card - not sure what make (can check tomorrow)

I have been using the latest aladdin driver 03/2006, as these are v4 dongles - they dont work without it... Did have to do a force install on one of the macs previously - otherwise, all the others are pre-installed with the driver which is built in to the disk image I use when re-build the macs after each hire.

Currently using OS10.4.6 with all relevant online updates as of 17/6/06. (haven't tested 10.4.7 with relevant updates yet... )

Your point about usb power maintained across the usb bus when a 'warm restart' is done is interesting... as previously mentioned - a 'cold restart' does seem to allow everything to work correctly - no blue bars seen - wheras a 'warm restart' does seem to cause the blue bars and 'no dongle' / 'no driver found' in the install register box.

However, I have not had any issues when running v3.32 h25 and performing a 'warm restart' with a v3-only dongle . Although that may be due to the fact that I run v3 on 10.3.9 not 10.4.6 (all our cats are dual boot - this leads to less confusion for clients who only use v3.....)

This issue does seem to be a recent occurance - a v4 show I did back in May didnt show any signs of this issue - and there were certainly a lot of restarts back then - warm and cold.... I did think that my 'cat delay loader' script may be the cause - but even when I removed it from the startup items - the problem still occured. - so i guess the script is not the issue. Is there any reason that the dongle driver would not load in time on a 'warm' restart?

will keep testing tomorrow.....

S