Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: playing image and difficoult to have costant 25.0 fps

1. Angry playing image and difficoult to have costant 25.0 fps

Hi Richard could you be so kind help me with this problem???

i use this: 10.3.9 OS and 7.1 quick time pro in both POWER MAC G5

catalyst 3.3 vers. 3.3_g21_pro on POWER MAC G5 dual 2.0 gigahertz+ATI RADEON 9800 pro SE 256 Mb video card
    RAM 2Gigabyte
    and
    catalyst 3.32 h_h24_pro
    catalyst 4.05_m48UB_HD on POWER MAC G5 dual 2.7 gigahertzATI RADEON 9800 pro SE 256 Mb video card
    RAM 1Gigabyte

into 2 different catalyst racks.

during playing video or library at 25.0 fps there is difficulty to have costant
    frame rate,and when i use 2 or 3 file speed become 12-13 frame for second.

I know this is not software bug because same problem i have if start
    directly file from quick time,the image go on step by step.
    The same files i checked on similar MAC G5 2.0 gigahertz with
    GEFORCE 550 and 64 Mb without problem.

I'm working with WHOLE HOG 3 and with time code i must have
    sincronizzation from AUDIO and VIDEO, for this i need to have costant frame rate.
    I checked with quicktime 7.10 normal and PRO.
    Heart out i'm waiting advise from you.

What kind of harddrives?
    How are the videos encoded?

3. playing image and difficoult to have costant 25.0 fps

Thanks for answer JASON.
    I use 10.3.9 OS quicktime 7.1 pro and this hard driver:

WDC WD2500JD-41HBC0:

Capacity: 232.89 GB
    Model: WDC WD2500JD-41HBC0
    Revision: 21.02J21
    Serial Number: WD-WCAL75538630
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Protocol: ATA
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Serial ATA
    bay_name: A (upper)
    OS9 Drivers: No

Macintosh HD:

Capacity: 232.76 GB
    Available: 42.6 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk0s3
    Mount Point: /

And SCSI hard disk

MAXTOR ATLAS10K4_146WLS:

Capacity: 137.01 GB
    Manufacturer: MAXTOR
    Model: ATLAS10K4_146WLS
    Revision: DFV0
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk1
    OS9 Drivers: No
    SCSI LUN: 0

Content:

Capacity: 136.88 GB
    Available: 23.3 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: HFS+
    BSD Name: disk1s3
    Mount Point: /Volumes/Content

I check the files in both hard disk.
    in the serial ATA is much better.
    video encoding it was different type .DV, .MOV
    I check also with .mov local captured with BLACKMAGIC DEKLINK EXTREME

Thanks

ROBERTO NOVELLI Resp. Tech. Dept.
    Ianiro Aldo srl Company
    roberto_novelli@ianiro.com
    ianiro_lab@ianiro.com
    www.ianiro.com
    tel.+39.06.93.10.198
    fax+39.06.93.162.162

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************
    Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio e nei suoi allegati sono confidenziali e destinate esclusivamente alla persona o alla societÃÂ* in indirizzo. Ogni inoltro, trasmissione, diffusione o altro uso di queste informazioni a terzi non destinatari sono proibiti salvo espresso consenso di Ianiro. Se ricevete questa comunicazione per errore, contattate il mittente e cancellate le informazioni da ogni computer.
    The information contained in this message and in the attachments are confidential and are intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, retransmission, dissemination or other use of it is prohibited without the express consent of Ianiro. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************

We have the same problem... we own 3 Cat systems, and so far we did to improve speed.

Hard Drive is the main issue...
    So if you have 1 movie playing back from 1 Hard Drive is perfect
    if you have more than 2 movies, on our experiences, if you can put a movie in diferent drivers like Movie 1 in HD 1 and movie 2 in HD 2 (even if a system resides there) you will se Cat playsback no problems...
    But is crazy to spread out movies like this, so we did set up a RAID 0 system, in our particular case, for monies reason, we did a 4 Firewire 800 External Drives with a SoftRAID solution (Apple has his own in the system, but we use SOFTRAID 3). That way, we could reach 3 to 4 movies playingback togheter without loosing speed. Depends of the codec etc...
    The best looking solution is a External SATA HDs, set up as a RAID, connected to teh system thru a SCSI Card, 4 8 or so.... but that is Expensive.
    Another Solution is a RAID Computer, like XServe from Apple and Run thru Fiber optic Cable (Networked). I did never tested... but all sound good.
    We are currently using V4, and maybe is a impression, but V4 looks like plays easier the 4 moviens than V3.3, but maybe i am wrong.
    Remember, CATALYST is a NON DROP FRAME software, different than Quicktime (normal config). I belive if you set up your Quicktime to PLAY ALL FRAMES option, you will get results closer to the CAT sys. also depends on the Graphics used, Effects etc...
    Is hard to Play movies on computers, ge3tting better, but not quiet ready for a price.

Remember, when you play a movie, release all the non show layers.

Hope that helps...
    Gian
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by roberto_novelli
    I know this is not software bug because same problem i have if start
    directly file from quick time,the image go on step by step.
    The same files i checked on similar MAC G5 2.0 gigahertz with
    GEFORCE 550 and 64 Mb without problem.
    if this happens in quicktime... as you say here... - it means you have probably got an uncompressed movie- or a movie in a codec which needs more resources to playback.

before you do anything else ----

You need to give me the movie properties information - such as codec, image size etc.

please open up the movie in quicktime player - and check for you and me the type of movie file using "Show Movie info"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gian
    We have the same problem... we own 3 Cat systems, and so far we did to improve speed.

Hard Drive is the main issue...
    So if you have 1 movie playing back from 1 Hard Drive is perfect
    if you have more than 2 movies, on our experiences, if you can put a movie in diferent drivers like Movie 1 in HD 1 and movie 2 in HD 2 (even if a system resides there) you will se Cat playsback no problems...
    But is crazy to spread out movies like this, so we did set up a RAID 0 system, in our particular case, for monies reason, we did a 4 Firewire 800 External Drives with a SoftRAID solution (Apple has his own in the system, but we use SOFTRAID 3). That way, we could reach 3 to 4 movies playingback togheter without loosing speed. Depends of the codec etc...
    The best looking solution is a External SATA HDs, set up as a RAID, connected to teh system thru a SCSI Card, 4 8 or so.... but that is Expensive.
    Another Solution is a RAID Computer, like XServe from Apple and Run thru Fiber optic Cable (Networked). I did never tested... but all sound good.
    We are currently using V4, and maybe is a impression, but V4 looks like plays easier the 4 moviens than V3.3, but maybe i am wrong.
    Remember, CATALYST is a NON DROP FRAME software, different than Quicktime (normal config). I belive if you set up your Quicktime to PLAY ALL FRAMES option, you will get results closer to the CAT sys. also depends on the Graphics used, Effects etc...
    Is hard to Play movies on computers, ge3tting better, but not quiet ready for a price.

Remember, when you play a movie, release all the non show layers.

Hope that helps...
    Gian
    you guys must be using resource hungry codecs....as the performance with dv files is good.

did you buy your systems complete from HES?
    or build your own?
    not using scsi?
    Using just internally drive?

did you try a single raptor SATA drive internally?
    the performance of firewire in whatever raid config is not going to be faster than this.

you guys must be using resource hungry codecs....as the performance with dv files is good. - I agree
    Using Dv movies, i get up to 4 movies playback simultaniuslly

did you buy your systems complete from HES?
    or build your own?
    We did built our systems... G5 Dual 2.0, BlackMagic etc...
    You can check our system look here... we have some DA's'and other accessories on our case. http://www.ibeamsp.com/pages/pages/catsys.html
    We are pretty happy with ou servers performance.
    We do belive 4 movies simultaniusly without any drop rate is pretty good.
    That with Graphics and Images on the other layers.
    We know on a SCSI system we can get even better performance.

not using scsi?
    NO

Using just internally drive?
    I have 2 Internal SATA and 4 FW800 External RAID 0 Drive

1 Internal System
    1 Internal HES Content - Client Content
    4 RAID 0 - 3rd party content - digital juice, Artbeats etc...

did you try a single raptor SATA drive internally?
    We have 1 Raptor SATA internally, i keep the original HES stuff on this one and sometimes some of CLIENT content.

the performance of firewire in whatever raid config is not going to be faster than this.
    The 4 HD in RAID 0 config thru a Firewire 800 works great, i get arround 90 Mb/s. Pretty Happy
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil

i get almost 8 dv movies at 25fps with a quad g5 - and a single fujitsu MAU 3147 scsi drive.

if you reduce the image size to 512x512 or 640x480 - or even 384x288 for playing back with pixelmad - or lower resolution video walls- you can get upto 15 movies at 25fps at the same time using photojpeg 50-60%

roberto has mpeg4 files - which dont work at all well, they are designed for internet streaming - and can consume all the resources of the computer - as they dont have to have many files playing at once.

...hopefully he is going to post this information here....

10. Thumbs up playing video or library at 25.0 fps there is difficulty to have costant

ok follow the details about files used,but i use mpeg4 just in order to
    check....
    But the test i do in .DV;.MOV;.mpeg4
    i can play max 1 file at 25.0 and something drop image conseguently i have
    no sincrinizazion with audio external audio trace.
    The start image is from WHOLE HOG III AND time code SMPTE.

this is first file

this is the second file

the size the files you can see is 1024x576

see you

ROBERTO NOVELLI Resp. Tech. Dept.
    Ianiro Aldo srl Company
    roberto_novelli@ianiro.com
    ianiro_lab@ianiro.com
    www.ianiro.com
    tel.+39.06.93.10.198
    fax+39.06.93.162.162

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio e nei suoi allegati sono confidenziali e destinate esclusivamente alla persona o alla societÃÂ* in indirizzo. Ogni inoltro, trasmissione, diffusione o altro uso di queste informazioni a terzi non destinatari sono proibiti salvo espresso consenso di Ianiro. Se ricevete questa comunicazione per errore, contattate il mittente e cancellate le informazioni da ogni computer.
    The information contained in this message and in the attachments are confidential and are intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, retransmission, dissemination or other use of it is prohibited without the express consent of Ianiro. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.