Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAID 0 for HD-SDI uncompressed pci-x recording.

Actually, right now I'd be looking at Port Multiplication SATA enclosures. Sonnet makes one http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusion500p.html
    You can actually take advantage of SATA II speeds by using these. With their controller card for PCIe macs, you can have four of these enclosures, with 5 drives in each. You can do a RAID set in each enclosure, then do a RAID stripe across two of the enclosures. The real nice thing about these is that you only need to connect one cable from your mac to the enclosure. Here is a review of them...
    http://www.barefeats.com/hard72.html
    As you can see, and 8 drive array gives you MORE than enough speed to do uncompressed 10 bit RGB 4:4:4 1920x1080/60i

Jason

Exacte, but I'm looking around for pci-x ... There is a pci-x version http://sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_x4p.html .. Would that give the same speeds ?

raptors are 150Gb these days.

doing this kindof thing - you need to be prepared to iterate a couple of times.
    start small, investigate the technology. see if it works.

i dont know the answers about pci-x cards - i dont have any - if i were doing this - i would use an xserve raid - with fibre channel - because i know it works.
    i have seen it working with my own eyes.
    and its reliable, and its designed to do this kindof thing. and make sure that it all happens correctly- and it has a huge cache which makes the problems a little easier.

right, so i did some calculations.

the sata solution and scsi solution cost about the same, around 1300 euros, which seems reasonable for the investigative stage of the project.

the scsi solution will provide 4*150gb (seritec card + enclosure, raptor disks)
    the sata solution will provide 5*300gb (sonnet card + enclosure, maxline III disks)

... ?

I don't know that 5 SATA drives would be enough, it depends on how you plan to capture the HD-SDI path.
    As far as whether or not this will work using SATA.... it will. If you look on HDFORINDIES, Mike recently captured uncompressed 4:4:4 to a SATA array from a telecine, did hours of footage, and NO dropped frames. He had an 8-drive SATA array. Raptors are not required for this kind of thing. But I really think you are going to need at least 8 drives if you are looking at doing uncompressed capture.
    The PCI-x cards will give you enough speed.

Also, in your above prices, you listed Raptors as the SCSI solution. Raptors are SATA drives, NOT SCSI.

Jason

www.hugesystems.com MEDIAVAULT 4110, 4Gbit Fibre Channel Interface in a 1U rackmountable chassis,great stuff or 4210 ( bigger brother)
    It seems that this is a reliable system that works, I have order one 4110 after had tested it for one week ,so spend a little extra and you will se a rocksteady system!
    Peppe Tannemyr
    Beacon DigiGobos®
    www.digigobos.com / www.gobogroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by peppe
    www.hugesystems.com MEDIAVAULT 4110, 4Gbit Fibre Channel Interface in a 1U rackmountable chassis,great stuff or 4210
    believe me - fibre channel is sooo much better than either scsi or external sata drives.
    fibre channel is a true professional standard- been around a while- its plug and play - and it works.
    the fibre channel cables are really good. ( they arent fibre - they are copper )

that mediavault 4110 looks really great!

a lot of these other things are hacks - and if you want to spend a lot of time fiddling then fine...

sometimes the grief - and there is a lot of grief - in anything to do with hd-video- is just not worth it...especially if you are not an expert in the technologies.