Thread: RAID 0 for HD-SDI uncompressed pci-x recording.

Hybrid View

raptors are 150Gb these days.

doing this kindof thing - you need to be prepared to iterate a couple of times.
    start small, investigate the technology. see if it works.

i dont know the answers about pci-x cards - i dont have any - if i were doing this - i would use an xserve raid - with fibre channel - because i know it works.
    i have seen it working with my own eyes.
    and its reliable, and its designed to do this kindof thing. and make sure that it all happens correctly- and it has a huge cache which makes the problems a little easier.

right, so i did some calculations.

the sata solution and scsi solution cost about the same, around 1300 euros, which seems reasonable for the investigative stage of the project.

the scsi solution will provide 4*150gb (seritec card + enclosure, raptor disks)
    the sata solution will provide 5*300gb (sonnet card + enclosure, maxline III disks)

... ?

I don't know that 5 SATA drives would be enough, it depends on how you plan to capture the HD-SDI path.
    As far as whether or not this will work using SATA.... it will. If you look on HDFORINDIES, Mike recently captured uncompressed 4:4:4 to a SATA array from a telecine, did hours of footage, and NO dropped frames. He had an 8-drive SATA array. Raptors are not required for this kind of thing. But I really think you are going to need at least 8 drives if you are looking at doing uncompressed capture.
    The PCI-x cards will give you enough speed.

Also, in your above prices, you listed Raptors as the SCSI solution. Raptors are SATA drives, NOT SCSI.

Jason