Thread: Video stops playing/ White flashes

Hybrid View

sounds more like a dmx problem to me.

could be noisy dmx - or the problematic artistic license firmware.. - are you using artnet? which box?

--

but heat could also be a problem.
    computers dont like things too hot. they need proper ventillation.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    sounds more like a dmx problem to me.

could be noisy dmx - or the problematic artistic license firmware.. - are you using artnet? which box?
    What is this problematic firmware? I am using an artistic licence catalynx on the server I bought and would be interested in knowing about the potential problems, but the hired server with the problem is on a CIB.

Mic

i have had 2 people using artnet boxes - output only - for dmx fixtures - report flickering dmx.
    something to do with an rdm update for the etherlynx boxes.

--
    the problem you had was most likely heat related.
    --

Never had an issue with a CIB (except being unplugged from USB!) - The RDM compatible firmware on Artnet boxes has been known in few cases to cause DMX fluctuations, and therefore might explain the random white flashes - but not on the other 'cib' server... You should be able to downgrade the firmware to a non RDM version using 'DMX workshop' on a PC - check with Simon or Wayne at AL if you have any issues.

You should also be able to monitor this using the HUD in catalyst as discussed - either with a separate Mac over Ethernet - or on either of the servers (the one with the artnet box preferably...) any changes in DMX will be highlighted on cyan and seen if they are 'flickering' - alternatively - use an AL microscope (think you can do a flicker finder test on it??)

Try terminating the CIB DMX output if possible - most CIBs are auto-term, but I have had to terminate the DMX in the past.

Two other thought:

- Are either servers connected to your inter/intranet? It would be worth disabling any file sharing or VNC if its is enabled.

- Are you syncing playback across servers using sync id at any point when flashes occur?

However, it does seem like a heat issue - especially due to the random nature of it.

Re content freezing issue on the specific cue - still can't solve that one - will have a look at the system and content with the hog show when it returns next week. (don't delete the content!)

Cheers

S