Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finder Menu Bar

Finder Menu Bar

This is an OLD problem - that I've see fixed in v3.3 - however, it seems to have re-occured recently...

Scenario:
    Catalyst application is put in to startup items (below ati utils startup)
    Goto full screens on startup is (already) selected for both displays in catalyst

Result:
    Finder menu bar is seen at top of primary display once Mac has booted and catalyst app auto starts

Only way to get rid of it is to move the mouse (blind) to the top of the screen and click... then it disapears
    or
    come out of full screen - and then go back to fullscreen using shortcut keys

Has anyone else 're-discovered' this issue recently running v3.3 and OS10.3.3???

Will try v3.3.1 to swee if it helps.... any comments welcome

S

what else did you put into your startup items?

what else did you install?

its not my issue.

its related to anything else that loads before or after catalyst

on 10.4.5 i have had it reported that the dongle doesnt work correctly - if catalyst is put in the startup items.

this must mean that apple has altered the loading order of extensions and applications.

i didnt change any code.

after loading catv4 on a mac and launching it, after it finished booting into full screen on both outputs, there was a definite visible line at the top of output 2 screen that went away when I toggled out of and back into full screen mode

a visible line is not the same as a menu bar.

the 'line' are OS wierdness and went away a long time ago in some os update or other.
    some kindof single pixel misalignment in the graphics.

which OS is this running in?
    which software version did you use?

the menu bar seems to appear if another application is launched - or brings a window to the front - while catalyst is loading.

multiple applications can be launched from the startup items folder at pretty much the exact same time.

it is not the usual behaviour for a launching application to keep itself hidden.

when the other application launches it opens a window which can come in front of catalyst.

the OS keeps track of application which are and are not using full screen mode.

This is not a software bug -- in catalyst. the workaround involves a trick - it is not a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    a visible line is not the same as a menu bar.

the 'line' are OS wierdness and went away a long time ago in some os update or other.
    some kindof single pixel misalignment in the graphics.

which OS is this running in?
    which software version did you use?

This server is running 10.3.3 and was previously a Catv3.2 server upgraded to catv3.3 along the way. I was using Catv4 when I saw the issue with the white line at the top of output 2. I do understand now though the difference in what was originally reported here as a menu bar.. I thought maybe this was related to that, so thanks for clarifying the difference.

vc

Yes - its a bit confusing because the setup is the same as a number of other servers which don's have the same issue!...

I'll look in to what else is starting up at the same time that might be causing the issue. There is certainly nothing in the 'start-up' items, except 'ATI settings' startup - which has never proved to be an issue on other servers... Guess there is some background service that may be causing it.

A solution that would solve it is to write a small apple-script that can be inserted into the start-up, instead of the catalyst app, which delays catalyst startup by waiting 20 seconds (say) then running catalyst. This should ensure that other apps load before catalyst, therfore avoiding the menu bar issue...

Any takers for writing a script?...

S

the order of the startup items is important.

try removing ati settings and see what happens.

some other drivers might also be installed.

if it works on most machines except one - its definitely not much to do with me.

there are other hidden apps that might have been installed but leave no trace...

delaying the startup is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_C
    This server is running 10.3.3 and was previously a Catv3.2 server upgraded to catv3.3 along the way. I was using Catv4 when I saw the issue with the white line at the top of output 2. I do understand now though the difference in what was originally reported here as a menu bar.. I thought maybe this was related to that, so thanks for clarifying the difference.

vc
    which OS?