Entec Datagate

http://www.enttec.com/datagate.php

8 universes of dmx.
    anyone used these yet?

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    http://www.enttec.com/datagate.php

8 universes of dmx.
    anyone used these yet?
    No but I would like to know if you think that the Enttec single univers openusb or open usb pro would be compatible with the Artnet framework you developed for OSX? They are very inexpensive and readily available in the US.

they have a horrible configuration menu system - one that you want to shoot yourself in the head after trying to configure.
    and the web configuration is incomplete...you have to use the menus...
    and their manual is not up to date with what they do.

they claim to not do all 8 outputs as artnet - but they do.
    because we had them working in argentina.

seem to work.
    had 6 of them driving 50 universes on a tv show.

I use Enttecs with Pixeldrive a lot. My overall impression is not very good, but most probably it's the Pixeldrive to blame, not the Enttecs. Personally I am quite happy with them. When I use them with pixeldrive I can drive 8 DMX lines, with Pixelmad or Catalyst - only 4. Is it possible to change this?? For quite a time I have had the intention of buying Pixelmad or more lines for Catalyst (upg), but this is the reason I didn't yet.

they seemed to work with 8 output artnet universes in buenos aires.
    the manual said they didnt work like this--- but they did,
    i saw it with my own eyes.

i accessed them directly using non-broadcast artnet - artnet data sent to each device.
    we had 48 output universes - so we needed to do this.
    i didnt have to set them up - gustavo did their settings...

maybe they need a firmware update of some kind?

enttec

datagates are working good with pixelmad, Richard made pixelmad work with they, enttec support service is not good , in fact they says that is not possible use 8 ports at the same time with artnet , Richard did it possible in pixelmad.

Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Enttec is a very inexpensive solution for being able to output or input DMX via UDP ethernet. I've heard nothing but good things about the datagates and Catalyst/pixelmad.

They are available mostly within 1 day for shipping and they work. Any word on how the single kits work? I was thinking of buying the $70 kit to see if it would work as an input device.

Christian Choi

A guy created a linux distribution which has his own version on it. It is made buy a guy at nomis52.net. It is under the projects and it is called LLA. It will take anything like artnet, sandnet, espnet and shownet and translate them back and forth with the addition of using either a single enttec usb open dmx (output only) or 4 usb pros input or output. I have played with it a little bit, but I could not get it to input to catalyst or output from catalyst. I don't have an acutal server, I was just playing with it on my mac book pro (in demo mode) and ran the LLA off of another pc I have. The cat would see it, but wouldn't show up as an input or an output.. probably because I don't know how to really use artnet yet and don't quite understand the ip scheming. The software is stable and in all of my playing with it, it hasn't froze or messed up. you can either configure it using the command prompt or it has a little web interface built in.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ryanww
    A guy created a linux distribution which has his own version on it. It is made buy a guy at nomis52.net. It is under the projects and it is called LLA. It will take anything like artnet, sandnet, espnet and shownet and translate them back and forth with the addition of using either a single enttec usb open dmx (output only) or 4 usb pros input or output. I have played with it a little bit, but I could not get it to input to catalyst or output from catalyst. I don't have an acutal server, I was just playing with it on my mac book pro (in demo mode) and ran the LLA off of another pc I have. The cat would see it, but wouldn't show up as an input or an output.. probably because I don't know how to really use artnet yet and don't quite understand the ip scheming. The software is stable and in all of my playing with it, it hasn't froze or messed up. you can either configure it using the command prompt or it has a little web interface built in.

Ryan
    set you ip address to begin with 2. e.g. 2.5.4.3
    Make sure your Gateway is set to 255.255.0.0 if that doesn't work try 255.255.255.0

Ok, I will try that. I have tried multiple ways but still was unsuccessful. I will try that today. I do not believe I tried that one though. I used a 10. router with a mask of 255.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.0 and neither worked. I will keep trying though when I get the chance. Thanks, Ryan