Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P
The sooner a 'BASE' configuration is quoted - the better...
SO - hardware spec is pretty simple, software spec is simple... Its a basic spec that everyone uses... why not use it as a minimum spec and benchmark for testing?
in the real world its much much more complex.

people dont stick to any system, or spec.
people install all sorts of things in all sorts of combinations.

I know because when i request system profiles from people - what is returned is a range of setups even from a single gig or the same rental company - ( but often there are cross-hire systems - and they are never the same .)

there are hundreds and hundreds of these systems out there.
this stuff has been on sales for 2 years.
and started out with hardware that was quite different from now.

i do have a basic benchmark for testing - but its useless for dealing with the range of hardware out there.

for example : the blackmagic drivers change the whole time ( and have started to affect some performance things ).

there are different opengl bugs - in different combinations with different graphics cards and different drivers.

also the new hardware which uses pci-express and is not compatible with 10.3.x introduces a new set of problems.

---

aside from this - there really are a significant number of hardware failures that crop up which confuse the whole thing.
computers get the crap beaten out of them on the road doing shows.

---

having said all this - there are only a handful of issues that crop up in my software.
but they are the tricky ones that change when apple changes the os.
there is some glitching - but it comes and goes - and changes in the os.
i try to work around them, or find ways - but i cant always guarantee i find everything - which is why i need your cooperation.