Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: peperoni usb dongles

Yeah, me too. The pro works great with arkaos and DLight (a simple but very effective lighting soft, no moving heads though)

Yes, I´ve had these problems. Mine mostly go to the Catalyst seeing the Peperoni, but giving 0 on all DMX channels upon startup. This happens very frequently. Unplug/plug the USB side works.

But, a desk operator had my system suddenly not responding to DMX during show, and it took him a while to get it back going, so I´m not all comfortable with the Peperoni.

you need to be careful not just with dmx and usb - but with anything you plug in.

serial ports- i blew up a powerbook with a serial lead-

audio input and output - audio often needs to use isolating transformers - if you plug into external equipment - on many shows i do the audio gear is on a different phase!

you have to be careful with monitors too, and make sure you are on the same phase as the video people.

This debate seems to be going in two directions. One has to do with isolation. The other has to do with Catalyst suddenly deciding to not listen to the peperoni interface.

I'm moving a show that I first used the peperoni on into the West End this week and started tech today. I quit the application and restarted it and all of a sudden my DMX triggers stopped working. Unplugged the USB end, replugged it, and all was fine. Glad to see that someone else has seen this happen.

Richard, you seem to suggest above that peperoni may have changed and that may be effecting why Catalyst stops listening randomly. I'm writing to the makers of perperoni now. What should I be asking about to help isolate this problem?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Kevin Carson
    Lighting & Video Technician
    Royal Shakespeare Company

probably something i need to look at - just got no time.

Add it to your list. I'll see what I can get from peperoni and report back.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Kevin Carson
    Lighting & Video Technician
    Royal Shakespeare Company

Quote Originally Posted by kmclights View Post
    Add it to your list. I'll see what I can get from peperoni and report back.

Thanks,

Kevin
    usb devices can be quite tough to debug

I've seen this problem happen frequently before. I think the name of the device was a CIB???? It always failed because the USB cable kept unplugging and getting plugged back in.

A few people actually went to the measure of siliconing theirs in place. The problem is with it being plugged in and unplugged so much it easily loses contact, just like the CIB.

For a couple hundred bucks, I would just buy one, keep an extension on it and replace the extension cable when it got too worn out.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by litemover View Post
    I've seen this problem happen frequently before. I think the name of the device was a CIB???? It always failed because the USB cable kept unplugging and getting plugged back in.
    Christian
    thats not the same problem or the same device as in this thread.

the CIB was the device made by High End Systems.

using artnet is much better in my humble opinion.

Not urgent -
    But cant seem to get a Rodin T to be recognised. System profile reports it correctly - but catalyt doesnt (m147)...
    S