Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: peperoni usb dongles

From the peperoni makers...

Dear Kevin
    The steady blue light means - you are right - that DMX is received. In addition it means that there are not USB transactions going on. The later seems to be the reason for your problems: the catalyst software is not handling the Rodin2 anymore.
    As long as the software is handling the interface the blue led is flashing with approx 2Hz. If there is no DMX signal present the led will flash red with approx 2Hz and keep signalling usb transactions in blue.
    Hopefully that helps.

Kind regards
    Jan Menzel

...For all you who know more about Catalyst than I do...If this is true, why would Catalyst stop handling the peperoni adapter all of it's own accord?

Kevin

dont know - not tested recently for over a year - but i think that peperoni changed the way they did the usb.

Catalyst does handling the peperoni adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by emilianomorgia
    Catalyst does handling the peperoni adapter.
    i think they may have changed something in the hardware - but i havent had a chance to test for a long time

i have actual running a peperoni dmx->usb interface (it's two month old) and work's without any problems on intel mini mac pro, osx 10.4.9 and catalyst m119.

plug, patch in catalyst and play

some people are having problems. i think there are different versions.

possible is also the dmx protocol with it different versions. many dmx receiver have problems with revision a, will stop working and have to restart.

it run's with hog2, osx 10.4.9 and catalyst build 119

i think they might have changed the way they handled their usb transactions- i recently bought a rodin T - i have to check but im completely overloaded-

Isolation, Isolation, Isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanww View Post
    I did last night and they replied back saying that they have no US distributors but it would be about 210 US converted from euros including shipping which isn't all that bad. The Enttec USB PRO is probably 30 bucks less.
    Ryan,

I don't want to sound like your mother telling you to wear galoshes when it's raining, but I had to write to point out something you may have overlooked. The difference between the Enttec DMX USB Pro and the Peperoni line is a lot more than $30, if you look at the model that has isolation.

Perhaps you have an isolated splitter in your setup that takes on this responsibility, but for all those readers who don't know it, the use of isolation in PC-based DMX control hardware interfaces is an important concern. It's not just a marketing buzzword. Enttec makes a product that doesn't have isolation, which costs $60 US. If you're really budget-conscious, you could go there, but be forewarned....

At the factory, we have a collection of them that people sent back after they were the victims of ground loops between dimmers and the computer and other hardware. In some cases the USB port was also taken out. There is a time when you can get away with non-isolated hardware but most people reading this forum will have too much invested in their systems to risk it.
    To protect your CPU, make sure you either purchase an interface that is isolated, or get an external splitter with that capability and use it all the time.

Hoping you all practice safe dmx.

Jeremy Kumin
    Enttec US Sales

Yea, I know.. I have seen it as well.. Large ground potentials don't do electronics well..

I now have a Pro and a normal.. neither of which I really use though.. No one really makes software for them anymore. I was hoping someone would make some cool software but most of that has stopped.. I wish the cat software would work with the pro