Thread: Playing a DVD?

Hybrid View

I'm using this thing to grab

I'm using this thing to grab DVDs http://handbrake.m0k.org/ ( off course you can grab dvd if you own the right )

mactheripper works as well.

dont use mpeg4 or mpeg2 to playback movies.

I have the similar issue here all the time... Clients want play a DVD during a Catalyst show or whatever. You have some ways to do it....

If you have a Blackmagic installed... you can use a conversion box from composite to SDI and use the SDI input. like told before here.

You can use either the Component input of your card or even use only the Y cable and that is a Composite input. to do that you also need to your System Preferences, Blackmagic and configure what Input are you using.
    I am assuming you have a Blackmagic Decklink Extreme.

another way... easy one, is to buy any cheap capture box, what has a composite input and a Firewire DV output.
    Catalyst reconises all those cheap boxes since they are Mac compatible.
    I use all the time one PINACLE DV, is really cheap and to play a DVD or insert a DV camera does the job.

Is nece when you play a DVD heve only ONE layer active at the moment, or may be you experience a DELAY.

I also use that to leave a question, I tried before import a DVD to the computer, but playing from the Catalyst, the time of the movie changes from one play to the other... even with only one layer selected.
    Is a way what i can tell Catalyst he needs to keep on the real movie time.
    I know catalyst skips frames, and slow some movies to do not freeze, that is great feature, but is a way to play a movie and say to stay on the movie timeline or so. Even using a external Timecode source. Thanks

Gian
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Gian
    I also use that to leave a question, I tried before import a DVD to the computer, but playing from the Catalyst, the time of the movie changes from one play to the other... even with only one layer selected.
    Is a way what i can tell Catalyst he needs to keep on the real movie time.
    I know catalyst skips frames, and slow some movies to do not freeze, that is great feature, but is a way to play a movie and say to stay on the movie timeline or so. Even using a external Timecode source. Thanks

Gian
    dont know exactly what you are describing here?
    please give more information?
    there are many ways to 'import' a dvd, and most of them will not work well.

you have to convert the dvd files to something that plays back well.

The DVD file plays back pretty well, the problem is from one time (playing back) to another, sometimes the duration of the real TIME changes a bit...
    Like, if the DVD movie has 3.23 minutes... I do import that to my computer.
    In the Quicktime, he plays 3.23 minutes, but on the Catalyst, one time plays
    3.23, another time plays 3.26, another time 3.28. Is a way to say to the Catalyst he needs to stick on the REAL time ???

Thanks

Gian
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil

The DVD file plays back pretty well, the problem is from one time (playing back) to another, Gian
    what codec did you use?

normaly DV...

I get arround this by using a external DVD player, and use a Video Input for that, is just testing things.

BTW we did install the v. 3.31 on a 10.4.4 Tiger G5 Cat and so far so good.
    Also v4 is looking great, i did not had the time to play, but looks amazing.
    Loved the 4 submixes.

Gian
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil

The DVD file plays back pretty well, the problem is from one time (playing back) to another,Gian
    How did you import your dvd?

Normaly thru a small software called DIVA. (is Freeware)
    Than just to have all using the same Codec, i do open the File in Quicktime PRO and Export using the DV PRO Codec.

Works pretty well.

Gian

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17899
    http://diva.3ivx.com/
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil