Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scan Files

Scan Files

Hi Richard
    Met you at Plasa with Svend and Ross, good chatting with you!
    As you may remember I do content for them, Im working on a job at the moment, and I'm looking for ways to speed up the content uploading.
    I was wondering whether it would be possible to scan specific folders instead of rescanning the whole library? Maybe it already is, and Im not aware of it!
    On the system we have 2 custom folders, so it would be great to just drop the files in and scan just them, only save a bit of time I know, but times the number of times I do it every day, it adds up! Not to mention last minute changes in the dress rehearsal!
    Cheers

Chris

hold shift key down when scanning

scanning - generates image preview thumbnails that is all.

Been doing that, just seems odd to rescan directories that have already been thumbnailed, being able to tick which folders to scan would save the hassle! Theyre not set up in the most comfortable position to hold down keys for a few minutes!

i could make quickscan a preference. and have a checkbox.

The reasoning is - that - you know the files havent changed- but my software doesnt.
    adding a gui to a simple process i think is overkill.

ill have a think about this.

the way it works is lame. particularily with lots of files.

Bump!

Working on a show with catalysts again, we've got 6000+ files in the library, had some really tight calls with dropping updated files in between rehearsals, it can take as long to scan in new files as the tracks being played, and the entire show has to wait before we're good to go! So even if its just a ini setting that can be modified to say just scan folder x and y not the whole library would be marvelous, cheers!!

Cat

Hi

Also scan files does not seem to remove redundant thumbnails which seems to slow down the web server. i've also had a crash due to files not found... do all files not get a thumbnail? if they don't could a blank file be generated? and the crash was on my desk not the catalyst so not completely your problem!

Quote Originally Posted by cat
    Bump!

Working on a show with catalysts again, we've got 6000+ files in the library, had some really tight calls with dropping updated files in between rehearsals, it can take as long to scan in new files as the tracks being played, and the entire show has to wait before we're good to go! So even if its just a ini setting that can be modified to say just scan folder x and y not the whole library would be marvelous, cheers!!

Cat
    suggest you split up your folders a little - if you dont use something why not move it elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by technick
    Hi

Also scan files does not seem to remove redundant thumbnails which seems to slow down the web server. i've also had a crash due to files not found... do all files not get a thumbnail? if they don't could a blank file be generated? and the crash was on my desk not the catalyst so not completely your problem!
    if the crash is on the desk - it is really really not my problem!

which console is this?

The desk is a Chamsys MQ200. I was watching it quite closely and watching the web server window in catalyst control and it seems to be when it comes across a file not found but not everytime. Also once the webserver locked up. i can't remember the exact message but ... recieved and exiting spring to mind.

I'm going to harras Chris at Chamsys as well but was wondering if there is any tidying up i can do to try and make the thumbnail image access faster? I've already removed any random non image files that had snuck in to libary folders and removed all redundant librarys