Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New macs - pci express - What will this mean?

Quad benches

If anyone is intrested:

http://www.macsonly.com/index.html#_141

Jan

performance in catalyst will depend on things people havent tested yet.

it will depend on whether quicktime can spread the codec image decoding effectively across multiple cpus, and whether they have got disc access to be multi-threaded.

up to now disc access across the entire system has been single threaded - which means only one discs is ever accessed at a time.
    so having 2 or more discs doesnt make things any quicker - it still seemed to have to wait for the slowest one...

Catalyst can take advantage of multi-cpus, it is multi-threaded.
    but everything important depends on what apple has done.

xserve compatibility?

Richard,

So we are waiting till the next xserves come out, hopefully they will have an AGP slot. If they dont, then we cant use them for catalysts? What if blackmagic makes an sdi card that fits in there? Do you still need the video card to do work for the software? We can always convert from sdi to rgbhv, right?

G5 towers are so big, and when you have 6 or 10 on a showsite, its a lot of cases to manage.

Also, do you know any good utilities to keep content on a bunch of machines syncronized? I plan on having a gigibit switch on hand to make transfers easy. I dont want it to update all the time, just when I run the "utility". I would use automator, but its only supported in the newer os x.

Jason

what is the difference?

I am confused now, new g5 towers come with a pci-express video card. The xserve g5s come with a pci-x slot for use with gigabit ethernet, fiber channel or video card. I am assuming that pci-express is better than AGP? How does pci-x compare to AGP?

Jason

http://www.econtechnologies.com/site..._overview.html

PCI-x.... 16 lane information transfer on the fastest slot, then either 8x or 4x.
    Faster than AGP, and I believe in time prone to less errors and latency.

G5's too big??? consider Mac minis, if you only run 4-6 layers on them, and have them stripped down they are small little buggers, perfect for fitting a bunch in a case with a KVM switch.