Thread: Catalyst CIB

Hybrid View

The problem with the III talking directly with Catalyst is that with the III the DP's do most of the actual DMX/ fixture control processing. This is so the console doesn't get bogged down with those remedial tasks

A DP-Artnet would be a great idea, would simplify things alot, but that's a good suggestion for High-End.

Using a GrandMa is great, I've done 5 servers off of it, and only simply hooked up a switch off the console and ran cat5 to each of the servers, made it very quick and clean.

How many Channels can the Grand Ma process ?

What's the Maximun ?

What's the different to run thise channel in artnet or via internal DMX ?

I'm curiuos . I'm sure that the Hog can do more then the MA . MA it's ok , but it doesent fly high like the pig !

The GrandMa has 4 universes onboard, direct DMX out, and another 4 available via artnet, or all 8 via artnet.

Yes the III can do many more

I like to see pigs fly high in the Sky ! with all love to all the pigs lovers , Pig rules !

Quote Originally Posted by Sandals512
    The GrandMa has 4 universes onboard, direct DMX out, and another 4 available via artnet, or all 8 via artnet.

Yes the III can do many more
    That is not actually true. While the board itself can handle 8 universes, you can add on NSP's to get just as many as the III can. I did a show once where we had four consoles in a multiuser environment running 30 universes of DMX. All on GrandMA. The NSPs do exactly what the DP2000s do. In fact, once you get above a certain channel count, the board does no DMX processing, and the NSPs handle it all.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrudolph
    That is not actually true. While the board itself can handle 8 universes, you can add on NSP's to get just as many as the III can. I did a show once where we had four consoles in a multiuser environment running 30 universes of DMX. All on GrandMA. The NSPs do exactly what the DP2000s do. In fact, once you get above a certain channel count, the board does no DMX processing, and the NSPs handle it all.
    See I was thinking that in the back of my head ass i typed, bu I wasn't sure. I must have been lapsing back to early versions of the MA

So - in essence....

all we need is a little Mac based app that mimics a DP2000 and spits out artnet - with a little dmx universe patch window in the middle....

Fairly simple program from the artnet end - and doesnt necessarily have to be an integral part of Catalyst, unless you want to get more complex.

...but it does need HES blessing to be able to decode the HogIII output in software without upsetting them...

We should probably have patented this idea too... ah well... HES can just give us all HogIII's as paymnet!....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P
    So - in essence....

all we need is a little Mac based app that mimics a DP2000 and spits out artnet - with a little dmx universe patch window in the middle....

Fairly simple program from the artnet end - and doesnt necessarily have to be an integral part of Catalyst, unless you want to get more complex.

...but it does need HES blessing to be able to decode the HogIII output in software without upsetting them...

We should probably have patented this idea too... ah well... HES can just give us all HogIII's as paymnet!....

thats a decent idea, but that would then lead to having that app open on all of them, possibly creating more work during heavier loads.

I really like the idea of a DP-Artnet node, I think that would be great as it would allow the III to communicate with alot of other artnet devices as well.