Thread: Two Questions: Data Rate and MTC

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Laura
    I have reviewed the codec performance tests you have posted and have a question about data rate. Is there an average data rate you recommend? Or is this so processor/hard drive dependent it is not a good measure of performance? Data rate is such an easy discussion tool when clarifying quality/performance issues with client animators, I'm obviously looking for the best way to discuss Catalyst requirements to optimize computer desktop playback.
    what are you trying to do?
    standard definition or hi-def?

and how many layers at the same time?

what is the key 'production value' you want to have most of?

is your animation - graphical or filmed live action?

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    what are you trying to do?
    standard definition or hi-def?

and how many layers at the same time?

what is the key 'production value' you want to have most of?

is your animation - graphical or filmed live action?
    Ultimately I'm looking for the baseline answer to codec performance issues, and I think your list of questions implies that there is no easy baseline. So for the sake of discussion, I'll create an average use scenario:
    Standard Def, single layer, graphical content, 800x600, photo-jpeg medium that will perform at 30fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura
    Ultimately I'm looking for the baseline answer to codec performance issues, and I think your list of questions implies that there is no easy baseline. So for the sake of discussion, I'll create an average use scenario:
    Standard Def, single layer, graphical content, 800x600, photo-jpeg medium that will perform at 30fps.
    thats is a certainty.
    you will get a single layer of 800x600 photo-jpeg 50% 30fps
    ( you will probably get 3 layers at this rate )
    ---

some users will increase the photo-jpeg quality to around 65% if they are using less layers.
    Above about 65%, the data rate gets quite high.

---

800x600 is slightly bigger than standard definition - which is 720x480 at ntsc.

you should get 3- 4 layers of photo-jpeg 50% at 30fps.
    with a Dual 2.5Ghz Mac and 9800 graphics card.
    you should get this with a single scsi drive

i just did a show with 4 layers of 1024x768 content photojpeg 50% using XServe Raid off one dual 2.5Ghz Mac.