Thread: Video Camera's and Catalyst

Video Camera's and Catalyst

Richard:

I was wondering if Catalyst is compatible with webcam's and firewire equiped minidv camera's? Is there a camera list that has been tested on the Catalyst?

Thank you!

Sean Bridwell

catalyst will work with dv cameras that have been tested to work with quicktime.
    so that should include all the ones that have been tested with final cut or imovie - but one can never be certain.

I recommend the use of video capture cards from blackmagic to capture video as these have proven to have had shorter latencies and better overall performance.

There are other usb and firewire video cameras that may work if there is a driver available.
    A third party company has written drivers for many cameras.

You will have to test your own camera to see whether it works.

I can give no recommendations as to hardware that works, this is just too complex an area.

Works well (in Pal at least) with Apple ISight web cams, Decklink and Miglia capture cards plus Sony DV cameras. Also with a Thermal imaging camera which was by Canon I think.

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by rosswill
    Works well (in Pal at least) with Apple ISight web cams, Decklink and Miglia capture cards plus Sony DV cameras. Also with a Thermal imaging camera which was by Canon I think.

Ross
    how did you use the thermal imaging camera?
    was it firewire?

Yes Firewire. I have not yet found any non faulty device which would not work.

You will find that there is a latency issue with Firewire - this is not a Catalyst thing, but a firewire thing. Firewire cameras are not generally suitable for lip-sync critical situations.

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Butterfly
    You will find that there is a latency issue with Firewire - this is not a Catalyst thing, but a firewire thing. Firewire cameras are not generally suitable for lip-sync critical situations.

Hugh
    firewire cameras buffer up more data internally. i have seen a lot longer delays with firewire. still usable in certain situations.