Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catalyst/G5 Lockup

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    this is something in quicktime that is locking up - not catalyst.
    all graphics file handling is run through this.

what is the image size in pixels of your file?
    can you email me the file?
    Richard, I re-did this file as a .jpeg and there are no issues... It was a 300dpi .tiff file @ 2000 x 2000 sqaure @ somethign like 7.6mb in size. The issue that I have is that I need the files to be high resolution because I have to have the artwork small and in the center, so that the surrounding area blocks the frame when I zoom in... Thats why it is so big... I was using .tiffs as a way to perserve transparent layers, as I have not been able to get a .jpeg to do this (I read somewhere else on this forum the way to do it, but I can't make it work) Only now with the .jpeg I have to use the colourfx channel to do the transperancies... Does that increase server workload over displaying a already transperant file?

Robb

mpeg2 files are not good for doing media servers.
    mpeg2 support comes from the os.

there is no random frame access and looping playback control is very poor.

the other media servers are using mpeg2 but only with all i-frames. so you have to reencode anyway.

dv is much better for doing this kindof thing.
    and its much more compatible with the production workflow - and is still editable.
    ---

my suggestion for safe crashing - if that is a major concern... -always has to be something that completely stops the output from the computer - or divert it?
    no software device will help here.
    How about a black flap over the projector?
    Or you could control the shutter of the projector?

I can be a moron...

True, With all the budget in the world I would have 2 servers running the exact same off the same DMX line with a output a/b switch, but that is in an ideeal world...
    Seriously, now that I have changed the file types I have had 0 issues...
    So the lockup comes from the OS and QT rather than Catalyst?
    Gonna have to test, test and retest that content!

Robb