Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 3d Objects

Quote Originally Posted by joshgubler View Post
    I think edge blending would be cleaner...
    ...my designer has done a test shoot...afraid of loosing intensity by having to spread each of the projectors...
    Trust me on this, if you can blend, even a little bit, it will look so much better. With even the slightest overlap of two butted edges, your intensity increases and it is very noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by joshgubler View Post
    ...3 projectors tiled (not blended) shooting onto a single arc...
    ...120' long...
    Something of a concern, you mention 120'. That would mean a single projected image size of 30'x40'.
    I am not sure what projectors you are using but that is a huge image.

I typically use LX-100 10k projectors and the largest size I would ever shoot is 18'x24' and that is in low light. Even if you are using a 20k projector, 30x40 is still huge and will only be about a tenth as bright as a typical screen.

If you're worried about running everything off of a single Catalyst, remember you can use 2 TH2Gs and run 5 projectors and put your HUD on one of the six outputs.

I have some intensity equations if you're interested.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Catalyst Blending works great, even at high Def.

If you need it to look better, work with the projectionist to do a dual blend between the projectors and Catalyst simultaneously, set a blend of around 20 to 35%, leave up the alignment marks then let the projectionist work out the rest of it.

If you are working in an extreme situation with a rediculous amount of souces that need to blended, composited, PIP, pixel adds, etc..., and don't want any hastles, USE A SPYDER and don't cheap out.

You can see everything that a Spyder does here: Vistasystems

For most cases though, Cat edge blending and a combination of projectionist will/knowledge will go a long way so treat your projectionist with class.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by litemover View Post
    work with the projectionist to do a dual blend between the projectors and Catalyst simultaneously...
    What do you mean by this, "Dual blend between the projectors and Catalyst?"

You can see everything that a Spyder does here: Vistasystems
    What are the costs of the different Spyders and are they worth it?
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Thanks for your concerns, SourceChild.

We did the show back in Sept. It went really well. I'm pretty sure the projectors were 21k. Plenty bright for the live audience, but a little dim on camera. It would have been nice to have them doubled stacked.

As I mentioned earlier, our projection screen was actually a white scrim curtain with fullness. Because of that, the edges were undetectable. Seriously, I had trouble finding them sometimes...and I knew they were there!

As far as alignment goes...catalyst's "curved screen test" works great. I just had the projectionist center each projector and fill the screen with the excess shooting beyond the screen. Then I tweaked the control points until everything lined up. Piece of cake.

Here's a simple checklist of things to do to create models that will absolutely show up under any circumstances.

1. Use polys only, no Nurbs, Sub-ds, or anything else.
    2. Only use quad faces, no n-gons or triangulated faces.
    3. Make sure your object is oriented toward the Z camera
    4. Make sure to follow richards instructions on how to name the models exactly.
    5. Make sure to output only the selected model not the entire scene.
    6. check you scale, if it is in mm, your model may be so small that it will look like a pinhole. If you have been working in very small units, just double check that you aren't making models that are too small.
    7. try to use double sided geometry, i.e not planes. Instead of a plane use a very thin cube primitive, this way you are guaranteed not to have any reversed faces.
    8. If you need to use planes, turn on your normals and make sure they face the Z axis. Catalyst seems to orient the model towards the Z axis.
    If you're still having problem try outputting your model without any shading or bump/displacement.
    Z axis on many modeling packages is not height it is depth as in from the cameras point of veiw. Only in architectural and 3dmax is Z up and down. You can change this preference in most packages so that Z isup.

I know that if you follow these steps your model should work. Experiment though in your spare time and try all types of geometry and faces. I'm not saying that they won't work, I just know what will.

Anyone with any in depth 3d questions, feel free to pm me and post here.

Christian
    Hey Christian,

Can you please help. I have followed your advice....so chuffed to find it....and ensured my obj's meet the checklist points. Im working in Maya and Catalyst 4.40 m466B. The 3D object is a fairly simple shape: a scale model of a fashion show catwalk. I want to use the obj to keystone my mix to the catwalk. I have had this working back in 2009...Im sure I have....but can't seem to replicate now.

Ive been slightly confused between trying to use the VFX 160 approach(which doesnt seem to display or be affected by my model...there is no sign that my model is there at all when I use this approach) Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 12.37.10.png and using the Model Screen option in the Mix Options which does allow me to select my Model:Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 12.36.29.png.

The closest Ive managed is with the Model Screen approach where an orthographic view of my model from front has shown up in centre of mix with red and green crosshairs either side/ top and bottom. This doesnt seem to be editable in any way though...or rotatable etc... and layer image/input doesnt display anywhere ....just a white empty shape.

Can you please shed some light on this for me?.....many many thanks....eel free to ask for more screenies or report or more info/ files if it might help?

Cheers,
    Henry
    Last edited by Badhurst; 23-02-2016 at 07:52 PM.

6. Christian left the forum years ago
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Hey Nev,

Thanks for letting me know-thought that might be the case as his post was so old...but couldn't find anyone else talking about the same thing quite so usefully. In the end Ive started using V5 instead and the 3D object features seem to be a lot more intuitive in there....very very impressed with V5! Frustrating that I didn't manage to replicate what I had previously managed in V4 but no point bashing my head against that brick wall if I don't have to.

Many thanks,
    Henry