Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3d Objects

I've created 2 models from 2 separate applications and they work fine for me. I used Modo 201 for the first one, and Maya for the second.

Didn't need to do anything special except name them correctly. I named them 000model1football.obj, and 001model8wierdsphere.obj.

I would post them but I can't upload them here as the file manager needs to accept objs.

It works fine though. Double check that you have put them in the app directory and named them with a 3 digit number then model then a number then your description.obj. I did it just like how it was explained to me and it works. It might be possible that your normals are facing the wrong direction and you are seeing the back of your model. Try either rotating your model or camera if you are using a model that has only one side to it.

Make sure to frame up the model and export the model only not the entire scene. Also make sure not to export any materials with the model.

Christian Choi

i added the obj file type- but you should zip them- really.

one of the big advantages of obj files - is that they are text files - and they have a small number of features- so its not totally impossible to look at them a see incorrect things.

---

3d models are tough -

if you use maya and modo - - they do the right thing - most of the time.

i use maya, formz, cinema4d, concepts 3d -i tried modo. i can just make models work.
    I have been able to get proper texture maps and uv coordinates out of cinema 4d - with non-mangled vertices -
    I also sometimes have to resort to windows based 3d file translation programs.

but it sometimes takes lot of wrangling to make 3d - even transfering files from one 3d program to another, can be traumatic and difficult.

Here's a simple checklist of things to do to create models that will absolutely show up under any circumstances.

1. Use polys only, no Nurbs, Sub-ds, or anything else.
    2. Only use quad faces, no n-gons or triangulated faces.
    3. Make sure your object is oriented toward the Z camera
    4. Make sure to follow richards instructions on how to name the models exactly.
    5. Make sure to output only the selected model not the entire scene.
    6. check you scale, if it is in mm, your model may be so small that it will look like a pinhole. If you have been working in very small units, just double check that you aren't making models that are too small.
    7. try to use double sided geometry, i.e not planes. Instead of a plane use a very thin cube primitive, this way you are guaranteed not to have any reversed faces.
    8. If you need to use planes, turn on your normals and make sure they face the Z axis. Catalyst seems to orient the model towards the Z axis.
    If you're still having problem try outputting your model without any shading or bump/displacement.
    Z axis on many modeling packages is not height it is depth as in from the cameras point of veiw. Only in architectural and 3dmax is Z up and down. You can change this preference in most packages so that Z isup.

I know that if you follow these steps your model should work. Experiment though in your spare time and try all types of geometry and faces. I'm not saying that they won't work, I just know what will.

Anyone with any in depth 3d questions, feel free to pm me and post here.

Christian

I have a very simple arc I'm looking to shoot onto. Here's the setup:

3 projectors tiled (not blended) shooting onto a single arc (120' long w/ 70' radius). The projectors are each centered and squared up with their individual portions of the screen, so you could basically treat it like 3 separate and identical arcs. The "screen" is actually a curtain with fullness, so that will cover a little bit of distortion.

Do I need to create a model for this arc, or will catalyst handle the curved surface through internal settings (i.e. mix settings, etc.)?

Thanks.

Definitely use the curved screen submix. It's very reliable, I would try to get a Triplehead2go on it so that you can just use same layer and it will be guaranteed to stay in sync.

This way you could control the 3 way tile with one long piece or 3 separate pieces if you want. If you don't need to spread one image all the way across, I would still use the internal curved screen control on the submixes that you are needing for and use 2 machines for it, unless of course it is a very small resolution screen...

Alternatively, if you need absolute seamless screen blending with point control for luminosity, you could use a Spider but to me it sounds like Submix curve screen would work just fine in this situation. Even Catalysts Blending is completely and totally awesome, stack right up to a spider with a few small exceptions.

Hope this helps

Kindly,

Christian Choi

Thanks Christian,

The triplehead solution is exactly what we have planned. If it was just three separate images then distortion at the edges wouldn't be such a big deal. It's because we want to throw a panoramic image up on our panoramic screen that it has to be relatively clean. I'll play with submix curves. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by joshgubler View Post
    Thanks Christian,

The triplehead solution is exactly what we have planned. If it was just three separate images then distortion at the edges wouldn't be such a big deal. It's because we want to throw a panoramic image up on our panoramic screen that it has to be relatively clean. I'll play with submix curves. Thanks.
    u need to make sure that you aren't using old G5 1.8ghz or 2ghz ppc machines that have only 512mb of memory if you go with the tripleheads. You really should have at least a dual 2.5 ppc or macintel with 2gb or higher mem and you need a dual link video card on the machine that you are using the triplehead2go on, also, don't mix and match resolutions, keep the general default settings in the tripleheads and don't futz with them and you'll be right. , Catalyst like the same resolutions out of each of the outputs of the triplehead.

BTW, the blending in Cat is awesome, very reliable and even with HD. You should try blending your submixes so they are seamless.

Hope that helps.
    cc
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by litemover View Post
    u need to make sure that you aren't using old G5 1.8ghz or 2ghz ppc machines that have only 512mb of memory if you go with the tripleheads. You really should have at least a dual 2.5 ppc or macintel with 2gb or higher mem and you need a dual link video card on the machine that you are using the triplehead2go on, also, don't mix and match resolutions, keep the general default settings in the tripleheads and don't futz with them and you'll be right. , Catalyst like the same resolutions out of each of the outputs of the triplehead.

BTW, the blending in Cat is awesome, very reliable and even with HD. You should try blending your submixes so they are seamless.

Hope that helps.
    cc
    Christian
    nothing less than intel or quad g5. pci-e
    doing the resolutions required 2400x600 or 3072x768 isnt even properly supported on older graphics cards.

We've already done a couple of shows using 2 tripleheads, so I'm sure we will be fine here since we're only using one. Are you saying that I need to run my preview monitor at 1024x768 and my triplehead at 3072x768 (I know the machine can handle this as I've run both outputs at 3072x768)? Or can I run my preview monitor higher? We're doing all of the programming through the hud for this show, so it would really help to have as big a preview monitor as possible.

I think edge blending would be cleaner as well, but my designer has done a test shoot and he's convinced that tiling is clean enough. He's afraid of loosing intensity by having to spread each of the projectors over a larger area.

We've already done a couple of shows using 2 tripleheads, so I'm sure we will be fine here since we're only using one. Are you saying that I need to run my preview monitor at 1024x768 and my triplehead at 3072x768 (I know the machine can handle this as I've run both outputs at 3072x768)? Or can I run my preview monitor higher? We're doing all of the programming through the hud for this show, so it would really help to have as big a preview monitor as possible.
    vga refresh rates on multiple monitors can interfere-
    sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.
    60Hz isnt exactly 60Hz 75Hz isnt 75Hz.
    at 1280x1024 its 59.98 and 1024x768 its 60.02 - things like this- at different resolutions the refresh is different
    you set one screen to one resolution and the other to another - and the real refresh rates cannot be handled very well.
    you have to test.
    its much better on intel machines. but not good on older g5's

I think edge blending would be cleaner as well, but my designer has done a test shoot and he's convinced that tiling is clean enough. He's afraid of loosing intensity by having to spread each of the projectors over a larger area.
    'edge' blending isnt just a computer thing - it can be the projector angle, the projector brightnesses, color temperature, angle of incidence, screen gain. all sorts of things.
    projecting a image onto a screen - has falloff to the edges because the light has travelled further, and light falloffs is 1/(distance squared )