Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3d Objects

3d Objects

I have heard you can load your own 3d objects into catalyst and map images or movies onto them like the cubs and the wonderful Tea Pot. However I am unsure what type of 3d object file Cat Requires and how to do this since I can't find any info on this subject. Can anyone be of help?

Cheers
    Finn

Catalyst 4.02 + does support 3d obj models.

Create a folder called 'Models' in the same folder as the application.
    Name your model files using 3 digit numbers like movie files.

000Model1XXX.obj
    001Model2YYY.obj

etc...

Restart the application

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    catalyst doesnt directly support enduser models at the moment.
    the ones you see are builtin
    Richard,

As promised, I can create a whole bunch of useful OBJ 3d models for you. I think I would include about 200 of them all consisting of slightly incrementing and different degrees of curved planes both in NTSC and PAL, horizontally and vertically. I would also create a bunch of other awekward surface types such as corners and collumns so that video could be played on very skewed surfaces.

This would aid tremendously in projecting on curved screens. Previously you could only bend a screen on a very slight angle but with these curved planes, one would be able to project on a much more curved screen. This would open up a lot of possibilities for projection.

Just let me know if OBJ is the format you need them in. Otherwise let me know what format would serve you best. Any additional requests for 3d projection models come through Richard please.

Thanks,

Christian

The release version of catalyst 4 is advertised with:

Ability to import 3-D images (.obj)

But I can find no mention in the preliminary manual as to how to do this beyond:

Catalyst V4 can accept files created in Quartz Composer and 3-D .obj files.
    Best Regards

Mic Pool

after you install or put the software in a folder you just open the package and navigate to models then drop yous in there.

The models have to be huge so I would open one up to get an idea,

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by litemover
    after you install or put the software in a folder you just open the package and navigate to models then drop yous in there.

Christian
    I think I see why this is undocumented!! I don't think hacking at the package resource level was what the High End sales literature had in mind!

Anyway, I've got a good looking half a meg of humanoid, who looks quite funky with some suitable lurid color fx applied whirling about.

Thanks
    Best Regards

Mic Pool

When this feature is fully implemented it would be really useful to be able to access entire folders of models.

The model visual fx animate very well so animation sequences can be run by changing the visualfx parameter to change models 10 times a second or so.

A small 2Mb Screen capture movie of a bit of a running man can be downloaded from

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/soundan...ananimmpg4.mov

which shows the idea. (Slightly limited by the fact I can't get any model number higher than 10 to work, and the limitations of the screen capture software with Catalyst running)
    Best Regards

Mic Pool

animating models this way isnt really very good in catalyst- its not a very efficient use of models.
    models tend to be huge - much bigger and more unwieldy than movie files.

and the modelling application is sooo much better at editing, and rendering-

why do you need it to happen live?
    why not render off line to a movie???

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    animating models this way isnt really very good in catalyst- its not a very efficient use of models.
    models tend to be huge - much bigger and more unwieldy than movie files.

and the modelling application is sooo much better at editing, and rendering-

why do you need it to happen live?
    why not render off line to a movie???
    if you had a loop of 20 300k model poses it would take up 6Mb or so , not that huge.

I thought live was the whole point. Most of my work is prerendered, but ocassionally I do need to throw together a few looks for some ambient visuals with no pre-production, I think a few animated figures, would be more interesting to play with than a cardboard cut out forest.

Also I think the more possibilities included in software tools, the more amazing creative things video designers will find to do with them beyond what was originally envisaged.
    Best Regards

Mic Pool

Quote Originally Posted by micpool@mac.com
    if you had a loop of 20 300k model poses it would take up 6Mb or so , not that huge.

I thought live was the whole point. Most of my work is prerendered, but ocassionally I do need to throw together a few looks for some ambient visuals with no pre-production, I think a few animated figures, would be more interesting to play with than a cardboard cut out forest.

Also I think the more possibilities included in software tools, the more amazing creative things video designers will find to do with them beyond what was originally envisaged.
    i can give you more models in a test version - if you like?