Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XServe RAID and catalyst

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Opseth
    I know you folks have planty to but do you have the time/"wanto" too
    test raid 5? to see any performance drops/or rices?

Can u change stripe sizes on an Xserv Raid?

Regards,

Jan O
    No change in performance with raid5 - the demo unit arrived as RAID 5- i got reagan to reformat at raid0 - no difference noted.
    Only tested at standard definition.
    raid setup doesnt matter that much when you arent trying to get 200MB/s out of the XServe RAID.

i think you can change stripe size - it takes days to reinitialise - so we didnt change too much.

Playback at hi-def is processor limited at the moment - ( but might not be if apple released quad computers )

marty@cwp.net Guest

X Serve

Richard,

I spoke with Hugh yesterday. We were talking about another issue, but this is extremely interesting to me. Please keep me informed on this, as I have an immediate need for this. I am looking to do something along this line in Mid May. IF this works, this could be the answer.

Regards,

Marty

Im trying to get one on a big show right now- i have a show with lots of servers that can saturate this thing-

i can check out performance under real conditions.

Ill keep you informed of developments.

4. sounds like a great solution for an install. But for road machines I like to keep the unit self contained in its case. The only wires that come out are for power, monitors, keyboard, and video out. The thought of a crew member, LD, or Catalyst Op accidently stomping on a fiber lead scares me.

But I am a chicken!

Tyler
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr
    sounds like a great solution for an install. But for road machines I like to keep the unit self contained in its case. The only wires that come out are for power, monitors, keyboard, and video out. The thought of a crew member, LD, or Catalyst Op accidently stomping on a fiber lead scares me.

But I am a chicken!

Tyler
    its not fibre - its copper.

its seems a lot easier to configure than scsi.

Fibre channel cables:
    http://www.cselex.com/fibre-channel-cables.htm

Some fibre channel info.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di...e_channel.html

Fibre Channel key features include...

Hot-pluggability ? Fibre Channel drives can be installed or removed while the host system is operational, which is crucial in high-end and heavy-use server systems where there is little or no downtime.

ANSI standard compliance for serial port interface ? Fibre Channel does not require special adapters, which can be expensive.

Speed ? In its intended environment, Fibre Channel is the fastest option available.

Cost effectiveness ? Relative to other high-end solutions, Fibre Channel is inexpensive because it does not require special adapters.

Loop resiliency ? Fibre channel provides high data integrity in multiple-drive systems, including Fibre Channel RAID.

Longer cable lengths ? Relative to LVD, Fibre Channel can maintain data integrity through significantly longer cables. This makes configuring multiple devices easier.
    fc switches:
    http://www.storagesearch.com/fcswitches.html

Apple xserve cables:
    http://www.cselex.com/apple-xserve-cables.htm

You can use fibre optical cables with these devices for long distances - but you dont have to,
    the SFP plugs can take optical transceivers.

http://www.apple.com/xserve/raid/fibre_channel.html

For connecting over longer distances Apple?s card accepts long and short haul SFP (Small Form Factor Pluggable) optical transceivers for use with fiber-optic cables that can extend over 500 meters. This is particularly useful for organizations using Xserve RAID to back up or archive critical data.

How does this all relate to the transactions/second argument?

I am looking for disk solution at the moment beyond my single Raptor content drives and am a little confused now as to what is best. I have gone back through the forums and looked at your drive/codec comparison tables as well as the previous discussions about SATA v. SCSI. This fibre channel discovery seems to conflict with that.

Do I spend the money on internal SCSI drives for my 2 machines or am I better off investing more in something expandable such as xRAID?

I would like to have the ability to play back Hi Def but the maximum number of layers is also important.

Cheers

Toby

i have a couple of people testing xserve raids.
    and going through the issues.

they are quite good, because they are expandable, but the cost is a bit higher.

i hope to get one on a tour this month.

Okay,

Given that the xserve raid is probably a little out of my price range at the moment I am considering 2 choices that will cost about the same.

Option 1 - a SATA array using the new rackmount enclosure from Macgurus and putting the 8 channel SATA card in each of my G5's. This gives me the option to run a 4 drive raid for each machine or an 8 drive array for one machine. I would use raptors as the drives.

Option 2 - Buy a the Atto scsi card for each machine and put an Atlas V 146 gig drive in each. This option giving me the chance to buy a Huge systems array further down the track.

Please let me know what you think is the best option.

Cheers

Toby