Thread: XServe RAID and catalyst

Hybrid View

XServe RAID Economics

Is the XServe RAID expensive?

If you consider that each single XServe RAID - configured as 6 RAID sets, you get 4 volumes with 800GB and 2 volumes with 1200GB.
    You are getting a LOT of storage capacity in one unit.5.6TB

The retail price of the largest XServeRAID is $13000.
    Using this to drive 6 Catalysts is then ~$2000/server.
    Add 8 port Fibre switch. $2000
    Fibre channel cards are about the same cost as scsi cards

A SCSI disc array with 800GB capacity using 140GB drives at $600/drive is 5*600= $3000

The XServe RAID is 50% cheaper per RAID set for the same drive size than using SCSI.
    And you can network this between multiple macs, you cannot do this with SCSI.

Hi,

Which Raid Levels did you run the Xserv on?

Regards,

Jan Opseth

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Opseth
    Hi,

Which Raid Levels did you run the Xserv on?

Regards,

Jan Opseth
    RAID 0.

No redundancy

Another possible nice thing with this, is that you can rent Xserve RAID systems from a number of vendors....

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrudolph
    Another possible nice thing with this, is that you can rent Xserve RAID systems from a number of vendors....
    if you do rent-
    Make sure you have enough time to configure the raid. it takes a day or so to change the raid setup!

I like it because really it was almost plugnplay.
    Fibre channel cards didnt need configuring, fibre switch didnt need configuring.
    Maybe we got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    RAID 0.

No redundancy

I know you folks have planty to but do you have the time/"wanto" too
    test raid 5? to see any performance drops/or rices?

Can u change stripe sizes on an Xserv Raid?

Regards,

Jan O
    Last edited by Jan Opseth; 18-03-2005 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Opseth
    I know you folks have planty to but do you have the time/"wanto" too
    test raid 5? to see any performance drops/or rices?

Can u change stripe sizes on an Xserv Raid?

Regards,

Jan O
    No change in performance with raid5 - the demo unit arrived as RAID 5- i got reagan to reformat at raid0 - no difference noted.
    Only tested at standard definition.
    raid setup doesnt matter that much when you arent trying to get 200MB/s out of the XServe RAID.

i think you can change stripe size - it takes days to reinitialise - so we didnt change too much.

Playback at hi-def is processor limited at the moment - ( but might not be if apple released quad computers )

8. sounds like a great solution for an install. But for road machines I like to keep the unit self contained in its case. The only wires that come out are for power, monitors, keyboard, and video out. The thought of a crew member, LD, or Catalyst Op accidently stomping on a fiber lead scares me.

But I am a chicken!

Tyler
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr
    sounds like a great solution for an install. But for road machines I like to keep the unit self contained in its case. The only wires that come out are for power, monitors, keyboard, and video out. The thought of a crew member, LD, or Catalyst Op accidently stomping on a fiber lead scares me.

But I am a chicken!

Tyler
    its not fibre - its copper.

its seems a lot easier to configure than scsi.

Fibre channel cables:
    http://www.cselex.com/fibre-channel-cables.htm

Some fibre channel info.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di...e_channel.html

Fibre Channel key features include...

Hot-pluggability ? Fibre Channel drives can be installed or removed while the host system is operational, which is crucial in high-end and heavy-use server systems where there is little or no downtime.

ANSI standard compliance for serial port interface ? Fibre Channel does not require special adapters, which can be expensive.

Speed ? In its intended environment, Fibre Channel is the fastest option available.

Cost effectiveness ? Relative to other high-end solutions, Fibre Channel is inexpensive because it does not require special adapters.

Loop resiliency ? Fibre channel provides high data integrity in multiple-drive systems, including Fibre Channel RAID.

Longer cable lengths ? Relative to LVD, Fibre Channel can maintain data integrity through significantly longer cables. This makes configuring multiple devices easier.
    fc switches:
    http://www.storagesearch.com/fcswitches.html