Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What about PNG?

Quote Originally Posted by tharding
    I use PNG almost exclusively already.

I just did a 10 year retrospective of the Australian F1 Grand Prix using all 8 layers and lots of transparency.

All worked extremely well using some 600 still shots.

Cheers

Toby
    toby.

how did you program this?

you dont have to worry about pre-loading with stills images - to much, as there is plenty of time to load images, as the show runs?

There were 2 Catalysts. One doing the left side and one doing the right side of a 16m x 4.2m screen wiht a 20% overlap.

Some of the stills were turned into montages that scrolled across screen usiing the cylinder, others were still shots that went with a poem that just crossfaded between two layers. Lots of mark cues in the programming.

Attached is an early sample of the look. It is the wrong aspect ratio but you get the idea. This used all eight layers with layers 3 & 4 doing the feature shots in the middle. Every other element is on a separate layer. the stopwatch is animated and was a 320 x 240 movie. The photos on the side were slowly scrolling and statistics from that year were scrolling in the opposite direction next to them.

The other part was big shots at max resolution doing slow moves across screen to a live opera singer. Very straight forward crossfade between layers with a slow 20 sec move using movespeed to smooth it out.

The only problem with the stills is that any movie that is playing jitters as a photo loads up, but as the only movie I was using was a background texture it wasn't really noticeable. It would still be great to have some form of preload for this or some form of RAM disk.

Cheers

Toby
    Attached Images Attached Images