Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound

Sound

Multichannel sound only seems to playback white noise when an aif is selected - I;ve tried a number of different files - .aif and they are the same. Files are large, so I wont attach them, but its a straight copy from a CD. - drag and drop.

MP3's however, do work with the multichannel audio box. - Volume control works, and I can route it thru to either the system speaker or my Delta DIO 2496. (when the driver wants to work, and doesn't crash catalyst!..)

I can playback the same .aif and mp3 files using the quicktime box - but I cant seem to choose where to route the sound to. It only plays back via the system speaker - is there a way of re-routing it to my M-Audio Delta DIO 2496 card.

following on from this - is it possible to route the sound to any other output (apart from the system speaker) in catalyst? (Am I correct in thinking that sound is only enabled on layer 1?) Also - being that quicktime can playback an aif or mp3 file outside of catalyst - is it possible to do the same within catalyst? - didn't seem to work when I tried... (does in samsc...)

thanks

S

Multichannel sound only seems to playback white noise when an aif is selected - I;ve tried a number of different files - .aif and they are the same. Files are large, so I wont attach them, but its a straight copy from a CD. - drag and drop.
    ah drag and drop from cd- im not sure this works - or what the hell it does. its not the same in osx
    can you mail me a smallish file?

( you might want to use itunes set to import a cd track as an aiff - instead - rather than d&d )

MP3's however, do work with the multichannel audio box. - Volume control works, and I can route it thru to either the system speaker or my Delta DIO 2496. (when the driver wants to work, and doesn't crash catalyst!..)
    catalyst? you mean samsc?
    crashing drivers ? nice. had that too.
    these guys probably didnt test their drivers in a video system

I can playback the same .aif and mp3 files using the quicktime box - but I cant seem to choose where to route the sound to. It only plays back via the system speaker - is there a way of re-routing it to my M-Audio Delta DIO 2496 card.
    with quicktime playback you have to use apples 'audio midi setup' program

following on from this - is it possible to route the sound to any other output (apart from the system speaker) in catalyst? (Am I correct in thinking that sound is only enabled on layer 1?) Also - being that quicktime can playback an aif or mp3 file outside of catalyst - is it possible to do the same within catalyst? - didn't seem to work when I tried... (does in samsc...)
    In catalyst the volume might be turned down, there is a dmx fixture type to turn this up. i think the gui might be missing in catalyst, cant remember. ( in my build there a volume control is in the 'file' layer tab. )
    routing requires use of 'audio midi setup' program to change default sound output

Thanks for the info - I'll try the itunes method of importing cd tracks rather than drag and drop before I send you and files - they're all large!

M-audio Delta DIO card seems to crash out catalyst and samsc regularly on startup of either application - grey screen. The drivers are the latest availabe from the m-audio site and OS is up to date too...

I just removed the card - and theres now no crashing problems - with no other changes made (except I cant use it for sound out in samsc!!)

I'm basically just using it for digital out on a G4 (with none) - is there a card/device you've tested that works with both catalyst and samsc - I think i'll resign my delta DIO to the PC!

cheers

S

Can you open the 'Console application', and send me what happens when SAMSC opens?
    It prints out loads of information to try and tell me whats going on.
    There may be a driver conflict with something else in your system.
    Catalyst uses bog standard normal quicktime to do its audio playback - nothing fancy.

i may have a delta card lying around. ill see if i can find it.
    but i dont have a working g4 without a bit of grief.

The most reliable interface i found so far was the M-audio firewire 410.

This worked on my fully loaded g5, with scsi and blackmagic cards, when the motu 828 just crashed the computer the whole time.
    The crashes i had with the 828 mk2 were not caused by my software, but by driver conflicts.

Thanks for the info - on a gig for the week, so I'll send you some info when I;m back.

I'm going to run samsc v4 under os9.2 (!) because I know it all works with my midi box and the delta dio - and I can save the show!...

I looked at a firewire 410 a while back, and I think its a good option - it works on PC too, so good value for money!

Cheers

S

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P
    S
    Simon.

Its seems when you drag and drop a file from a CD using the finder - it uses PC byte ordering!!!!

It uses 'little endian' format - rather than the normal macintosh 'big endian' format....

This was really unexpected...
    Thats why it sounds like noise.

Very very wierd why apple chose to do this. I might submit a bug report to apple.

Hello - back from the fashion show, where I sucessfully ran SAMSC on OS 9.22 to cue all the video (thru the hog) on a catalyst server - basically left me to run the lighting live, while all the content was locked to the CD tracks (about 5 cuelists) - All worked really well in 9.22......

As requested - attached is the console log for SAMSC d22 opening on my G4 500 with the Delta DIO 249 card. - Seems to open ok, it crashed once when i tried to change some sound settings using the Delta DIO control panel (but it did this too in OS 9.22) - Trick is to set up the sound - save the settings, then open SAMSC. - Dont change settings on the sound card once SAMSC is open. Works OK otherwise.

Also tried to copy the console log when i opened catalyst 3.3v21 - but it always crashes on startup - and I cant save the console log... (!?) Basically have to remove the sound card if I want to do any Catalyst pre-production... (going to buy a firewire 410 when i've got some money....)

If I do ditch the sound card - do i have to remove any drivers - or aren't macs as fussy as PC's?...

PS - any save codes in the near future??

Cheers

S
    Attached Files Attached Files

Managed to Import my tracks using i-tunes - no white noise

However - how do I choose to use 'big endian' for drag and drop?

I've also found a nice little sound converter program that does loads - is aiff the best format to use? (have set it up for aiff 48Hz 16bit stereo) Seems to re-produce ok on a show sound system...

S

OK - Just managed to get Catalyst to startup (with no cat_settings file) and not crash with the Delta DIO card still in the G4. Console output attached.

Then closed catalyst - got a cuppa, then re-opened it - and it crashed after startup. All catalyst windows open - I get to see the output screen setups - ie 8 layers etc. Then the grey screen decends ad tells me to push the power button to restart.

Console basically looked the same as when i managed to get it to start... i took a pic of the last bit of the console window after it crashed (since I couldnt save it...) - see jpg... hope it helps...

S

(sory to put this catalyst bit in the samsc folder - but its all about the sound card!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P
    OK - Just managed to get Catalyst to startup (with no cat_settings file) and not crash with the Delta DIO card still in the G4. Console output attached.

Then closed catalyst - got a cuppa, then re-opened it - and it crashed after startup. All catalyst windows open - I get to see the output screen setups - ie 8 layers etc. Then the grey screen decends ad tells me to push the power button to restart.

Console basically looked the same as when i managed to get it to start... i took a pic of the last bit of the console window after it crashed (since I couldnt save it...) - see jpg... hope it helps...

S

(sory to put this catalyst bit in the samsc folder - but its all about the sound card!)
    what other cards do you have in the G4 computer?

Which OS?