Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P
Using 1 x layer as animated background - cloud loop (feedback video - 006 SD_Cloud010.mov)
+ 1 x layer as tiff object with either embedded invisible background (see attached) or invtint on the white background (depending upon picture) - object then moved from L to R of screen with x,y posn
(ie a shoe flying through the clouds!)

Noticed a slow down of the background as the 'shoe' moved across the screen - normal playback resumed as soon as the shoe disappeared
this image isnt huge - there should not have been any change in graphics speed.
Using a G5 2G mac with 2GRam - clean up-to-date hired machine - think it was a SATA drive, but might have been a fast SCSI one (wasn't my G4! - I only use it for pre-production)
Disc speed wont make any difference if all you had was a still moving over an animated background.
Is that all you had?
Incidentally - are there any issues concerning xfade between a PAL and NTSC clips? Is it recommended to stick to one format - or doesn't it matter?
None issues whatsoever except they are slightly different sizes, and in the real world the pixel aspect ratio is different. NTSC and PAL might have different native gammas.
NTSC is 720x480 PAL is 720x576
as far as catalyst is concerned it doesnt matter. I dont take any notice of the frame rate.