Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally a DVI- SDI converter

Kramer make cables with in-built transmitters and receivers. Those cables work. Magenta Research make Excellent DVI extenders that are very flexible. They can be used with Cat 6 or Fibre and even daisy chained. However you need to know a little what you are doing, e.g use the adequate fibre or Cat 6 cable and be aware of how do deal with EEID data.
    I have used the Gefen boxes over 300m without problems. Current I use Magenta Research. Usually the cable is not up to standard, there is noise in the system (no power filters/ conditioning) or the EEID data gets confused somewhere because either DVI detectives are not used or not correctly programmed.

Sven

Magenta is what I'm considering. However, Doremi is my next choice. I am about done with Gefen though.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

If you do get the Magenta boxes, just make sure youve got the fiber enabled in them. We had two that werent for some reason, and the factory said they would drop ship us new ones. Really annoying when you think you are covered for either UTP cable or Fiber......

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrudolph View Post
    If you do get the Magenta boxes, just make sure you've got the fiber enabled in them.
    I wasn't much for fibre until began reading and studying more.

I've been thinking copper and then something on another thread changed my mind. Christian makes some very good points which have started to change my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by litemover View Post

The thinklogical DVI extenders are absolutely brilliant...they cost more than Geffen but they are worth it.

...only need a single line of fiber to run to the other side of the extender (no Cat5e, no multiline fiber), however, they now have 2 fiber line outs...

...They don't require any Cat5e, just fiber which is very cheap now, just buy a spool and lamp kit. It is so cheap that you can literally throw it away at the end of the gig...

Thinkogical also has a relatively inexpensive DVI-D or Fiber routing system that can be routed via a web interface, Serial, or normally, by hand.

After seeing the Thinklogical products in action now for two shows, knowing how much savings it is, and how easy it was to get fiber feeds plugged in, having a build in DA for a preview monitor plus a spare fiber out where that in itself would take an additional ImagePro
    These Thinklogical boxes look cool and match up to the Magenta. I would have leaned more towards Magenta since I have used them for other applications. I am still not sure so I am interested in feedback.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    I wasn't much for fibre until began reading and studying more.

I've been thinking copper and then something on another thread changed my mind. Christian makes some very good points which have started to change my point of view.
    Well, the reason I say this, is that you can go EITHER way with these boxes. I use them Copper as well, but for instance, if you are in a building that is pre-wired, you can jump on the fiber line, while you could NOT use the copper, as these systems dont work with ethernet systems (even gigabit)

The Magenta boxes give you that extra ace in your pocket. And they also have the loop through on them for a local monitor like the thinklogical boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrudolph View Post
    ...if you are in a building that is pre-wired, you can jump on the fiber line, while you could NOT use the copper...
    I suppose to say this correctly, the technology is not DVI over IP but DVI over Cat5e. I have been reading and studying the protocol used on the Cat5 solutions and I have discovered that it is not even a registered internet protocol.

Simply put, The boxes use twisted pair for their own protocol. Since about 50% of the TCP/IP packets is eaten up in addressing and continuity, they make for very inefficient tools to transport the very large data volume of video.

This is stuff I have always known but after the research I have done in the past few days, I am even a bit more apprehensive of using a Copper solution.

Basically the video transporters use each twisted pair to send a different part of the signal I.E. Red, Green, Blue, and Sync. This is why they will never be able to work in a traditional network.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...

I have been using 50ft DVI cables (copper) without any noticable problems for a number of years. Low res only (l1024 or less)

ian h

Long DVi cables

I just saw a 70 meter long dvi cable from analog way.... and the price was okay to.. It lookes like a normal dvi cable with a little secret box in the projector end.. witch maked the magic.. and they ran 1080p ..
    With my best regards

Thomas Rotten

My toy...

The Fastest Catalyst system in denmark..

Mac Pro 8 core
    4 GB Ram
    4 TB S-ATA Raid
    Catalyst Express v. 4.10
    Elc dmxLAN mode 3 with 1 input and 2 pixelmad output
    All integrated in flightcase with 2 15" lcd monitors..

Quote Originally Posted by thomasrotten View Post
    I just saw a 70 meter long dvi cable from analog way.... and the price was okay to.. It lookes like a normal dvi cable with a little secret box in the projector end.. witch maked the magic.. and they ran 1080p ..
    It will certainly be worth testing. I'm curious now. I'll go look.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...