Thread: A DVI to SDI conversion box from Gefen

A DVI to SDI conversion box from Gefen

Finally - A DVI to SDI conversion box from Gefen.
    This could be the holy grail of sdi and hd-sdi outputs.

Actually they claim it works both ways:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2566

The ex?tend?it HD-SDI Conversion Box is a sophisticated, cost-effective tool that works both ways, converting high definition from SDI sources to DVI displays and in reverse from DVI sources to SDI displays. This unique attribute provides extreme flexibility and usability for broadcasters operating amongst varied equipment. High quality, high resolution video is maintained, multiple formats (NTSC and PAL) are supported and HDTV resolutions are guaranteed up to 1080i.
    SDI devices are connected to the SDI input and DVI devices are connected to the DVI output. When the source, display and the Conversion Box are powered and connected, video signals are converted to the proper format. The Conversion Box is manufactured with a SDI to DVI conversion. Configuration for a DVI to SDI conversion requires no more than a simple selection on the unit.

It's finally here.

It's actually two products, well 3. 2 DVI to SDI boxwa both with scalers one with genlock, the one without genlock is 1299usd the one with is 1500usd. Then there's the SDI to DVI box that costs around 1200.

Gefen makes excellent products at affordable prices.

Christian

I recently used one of these to ourput 1080 on HD-SDI, and it worked absolutely great. There are only two problems I have with the gefen product.

First, the power supplies they send with the unit are not auto-ranging, they are ONLY 120v, and I have seen them get blown up on two shows now. They are a standard sive, 5v supply though, so replacing them isnt a big deal.

Secondly, all the settings for this box are done via an IR remote, and if that gets lost, you are screwed.

Other than those two things, it worked great, especially for the price, if all you need to do is convert to SDI or HD-SDI, without really havign any other adjustments, then this is a good, cheap alternative to an imagepro.

I use the Matrox MXO, is great, but you need to have that attached to a Mac computer.
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrudolph View Post
    I recently used one of these to ourput 1080 on HD-SDI, and it worked absolutely great. There are only two problems I have with the gefen product.

First, the power supplies they send with the unit are not auto-ranging, they are ONLY 120v, and I have seen them get blown up on two shows now. They are a standard sive, 5v supply though, so replacing them isnt a big deal.

Secondly, all the settings for this box are done via an IR remote, and if that gets lost, you are screwed.

Other than those two things, it worked great, especially for the price, if all you need to do is convert to SDI or HD-SDI, without really havign any other adjustments, then this is a good, cheap alternative to an imagepro.
    Jason,

You can control the new boxes via RS-232. Here is an instruction manual link to how to control the device and update its firmware via RS-232: http://www.gefen.com/pdf/HDSDI%20Sca...l%20Manual.pdf

These HD boxes are actually superior products than HD Imagepros for a fraction of the price, if all you need is SDI (no component, composite or any other analogue signals). Here are some of the features that make this box tailored especially for a DVI to HD-SDI conversion at a fraction of the cost.

The main performance enhancement is the motion adaptive de-interlacing and that you are able to send resolutions up to 2k rather than be restriced to just 1080i

You also have the option of upgrading the cheaper box to have genlock if you run into a scenario where you need it.

* 10-bit resolution for greater precision and dynamic range
    * Proprietary 10-bit motion adaptive video de-interlacing with edge interpolation for HD / SD formats
    * Advanced noise reduction and detail enhancement
    * Max. active image size of 2048 samples x 2048 lines PBP processing for various combinations of video and graphics with alpha blending
    * Fully integrated sprite based multi-plane OSD controller.
    * Frame rate conversion to / from any refresh rate
    * Pattern mode w/ color bars & corss hatch patterns
    * Color correction
    * Noise Reduction
    * Detail Enhancement
    * Brightness Adjustment
    * Gamma Selection
    * Aspect Ratio Select
    * Custom Timing output mode
    * French/English Menu Set
    * RS-232 upgradeable firmware
    * RS-232 and/or IR Control
    * Lifetime support
    * Genlock capable

* Input Video Bandwidth: 1.65 Gbps
    * Output Video Bandwidth: 1.485 Gbps
    * Maximum Input Resolution: 2048x1080
    * Maximum Output Resolution: 2048x1080p24
    * DVI Connector: DVI-I 29 pin female (digital only)
    * SDI/HDSDI Connector: BNC female
    * Data Port: Serial RS-232
    * Power Supply: 5V DC
    * Power Consumption: 20 watts (Max.)
    * Dimensions: 6.5"W x 1"H x 6.75"H
    * Shipping Weight: 5 lbs.
    All for at most $1299, st sewelldirect.com you can get these in bulk for deeply discounted prices.

Still is no comparison to having the Gefen DVI Fiber extender for $439, uses 2 double straded fiber sc connectors and, you can buy 4 strand bundled fiber for cheap and just get the connectors and a tool, fiber cable is so cheap, if you seriously want a clean signal that you can drive 2k resolutions for up to for 2000ft, I would still prefer these over HD-SDI anyday.

Christian

For those of us over here in Europe it's worth remembering that many of these lower priced boxes do not scan convert which renders them less useful in the broadcast environment. Having researched at great length all available options on the market I would still consider the Image Pro to be the best all rounder, however have settled for the lower priced C7200 for my own personal stock which has dual channel capabilities further reducing the cost of a muti output system and at a reasonable quality.

Ross