Thread: Enttec ethergate artnet connection issue

Hybrid View

Guys,

I just got off the phone with Jon in Australia.

He is having another go at getting this box working.

From what he described he is seeing non-zero values from the Hog 3 on his PC but the Catalyst is "seeing" the artnet universe (IP address is shown in the artnet status window and Artnet 0 is highlighted blue) but all values are at 0 in the window itself.

It sounds a bit like a problem I was having with the Ether-Lynx box itself recently.

On that occasion I had connection between the box and the Mac itself and PixelMad was outputting DMX. I could modify the image on PixelMad and output DMX to fixtures accordingly but it would not respond to an incoming DMX signal.

It seemed really odd it could "speak" art-net to the Lynx but not "hear" it as it obviously had a good TCP/IP connection.

I could also control PixelMad by connecting a CIB and then use the Lynx to output the DMX to the PixelLines as a workaround.

After trouble shooting with the ArtNet monitor software connected to an ethernet switch on the same network, it turned out to be because I had old firmware on the Ether Lynx box and once upgraded it worked fine.

It was Wayne I spoke to at Artistic so if he recalls the incident he may be able to suggest what differed between the builds.

Richard,

Do you have any ideas what this could have been?

Perhaps it is something that hasn't been implemented on the EtherGate which allows normal Artnet traffic but doesn't talk to Catalyst.

I've suggested Jon post back here with as much info as possible as many heads are better than one.

Rob

Guys,

I've just spoken to Simon Hobday at AL. He mentioned that in one of the firmware builds they tightened up on the sequence count of DMX in the way the Art Net boxes output DMX.

This is field 5 on page 35 of the artistic license DMX spec.

Simon mentioned that before this was tightened up in the spec the DMX Workshop monitoring software was capable of reading Art-Net info which was not correctly picked up by other units.

It is possible it was this firmware change which fixed the way the Ether Lynx "talked" DMX to the PixelMad Mac when I upgraded my firmaware (see previous post).

Perhaps the ethergate guys have a similar issue.

Simon suggested they check all of the other restrictions of the specifcation on page 35 as it may be something like this.

Hope this helps,

Rob

normally incorrect subnet mask set in ethernet settings.

needs to be 255.0.0.0 as far as i remember

just did a gig with an etherlynx box. worked first time.

dont think i pay any attention to the sequence count.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    normally incorrect subnet mask set in ethernet settings.

needs to be 255.0.0.0 as far as i remember

just did a gig with an etherlynx box. worked first time.
    ;o)

Definitely wasn't the subnet mask on this occasion!

But you are right (once you have the correct firmware) the ether-lynx boxes work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF
    ;o)
    But you are right (once you have the correct firmware) the ether-lynx boxes work just fine.
    i never upgraded any firmware.

i didnt change anything from when i bought my boxes.

I have a mac network location i use for artnet, i turn it on and it just works.