Ive got a simple set up.

Lighting desk connect via DMX to an Enttec Ethergate Mk2 connected via ethernet (cross over cable) to a PowerMac running Catalyst. (Dongle in transit - due before client will see blue and red bars)

The Enttec documents say use cross-over cables, the High End ones say don't use cross over. A few simple experiments (http: to ethergate config server) show that a cross over is necessary for IP traffic.

Well Catalyst is not working properly.

If I plug a Piece-of-Crap laptop with some diagnostic software into the cross-over cable instead of the Mac it shows DMX changes from my lighting desk.

If I plug mac in - then safari will show ethergate www config pages, but catalyst does not seem happy. (simple cable connectivity and IP addressing test)

If I bring up diagnostic window for DMX it shows that it sees the dmx ethergate, but I don't get any useful art-net traffic.

The Ethergate Mk2 dip switches are : off-on-off-off (normal inoput mode with no universe setting).

IP info:
Mac: 2.0.0.2 Mask: 255/24
Ethergate: 2.0.0.1 Mask: 255/24

Possible problems that have occured to me so far include:
a) MacOS networking is more finnicky and I have some basic IP address issue
b) Catalyst is more finnicky than PC diagnostic software and there is some Art-net error
c) there is some sofware install config error on Mac
d) despite the fact that HE docs say only read/blue bars result from no dongle there are some artnet issues as well

Does anybody have any suggestions ?

Does anybody know of some simple artnet diagnostic tools for MacOS ?

Im a geek from way back so don't worry about deluging me with computing or networking info.

TIA
- JonT