Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SDI Interfaces - Are they all Expensive

Quote Originally Posted by rosswill
    This box does dvi to sdi and sdi to dvi but its $2,000 http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2566

this box is the holy grail. dvi to sdi straight off.

thanks ross.

The ex?tend?it HD-SDI Conversion Box is a sophisticated, cost-effective tool that works both ways, converting high definition from SDI sources to DVI displays and in reverse from DVI sources to SDI displays. This unique attribute provides extreme flexibility and usability for broadcasters operating amongst varied equipment. High quality, high resolution video is maintained, multiple formats (NTSC and PAL) are supported and HDTV resolutions are guaranteed up to 1080i.

Quote Originally Posted by rosswill
    Extron make an sdi scanconverter all in one.
    http://www.extron.com/product/produc...700&subtype=39
    I knew about the extron one.
    there is a VSC 500D as well.

what price are these?

Lightbulb SDI On The Cheap

Hi I just wanted to share my opinion.

The Catalyst gives us 2 x 1600x1200 high res RGBHV signal through one DVI-I connector and one Dsub HD15 VGA connector. Theres also a S-Video out for one of the outputs witch will only give you a max res of 1024x768.
    This is a much "better" signal than the classic video signal witch only holds 720x576 (PAL and similar for NTSC) divided by two interlaced pictures, based on how the picture is drawn on a TelevisionScreen.

So do we really want to convert the 1600x1200 RGBHV (three colors and two sync signals) to a 720x576 Composit or Y/C (S-Video) or SDI (Digital signal for longer runs than the Composit or Y/C)?

Well yes, sometimes because we want to please.
    Apple has made the RGBHV DVI to S-Video interface and sells it for 19US! With this weapon you can supply the VideoWall guys with both outputs in SDI by the relatively cheap S-Video to SDI converter from AJA or other brands.
    Remember that most videowalls are low res so you dont even need the 10Bit converter, you could easily settle for the cheaper 8Bit converter.

Just my 5cents
    Abbe Westerlundh

Abbe,

new things have arisen because the native resolution of video projectors has increased.

clients have started to want to use the full native resolution of projectors....
    most professional projectors can at least work at 1280x1024.

so people have started to ask how can i use the full resolution of the projector - and will it give me something more for my trouble? ( it is quite a lot of trouble ... )

So converting 1600x1200 back down to pal or ntsc is what people are used to - and its not entirely sensible as you say.

But maybe soon we might be able to playback native hidef movies - directly at 720p or 1080p into projectors. ( we can already... )

---

Signal distro and resolution

Hi

I really hope that we can get the video guys inspiration enough to go beyond the PAL and NTSC resolution barrier as soon as possible.
    I think that i will try to promote and use CAT5/Fiber RGBHV extenders as distribution since most projectors and ledscreens has a RGBHV input.
    The cable is cheap and is widely available compared to SDI Coax.
    The extenders that can handle 1600x1200 at 75hz is fair priced.

Regarding the use of resolution...

As i get most discutions here, we would rather work in the Catalyst´s full resolution and thus make it easier to make new stuff in the design language.
    I´m sure that you are aware of Dataton´s WatchOut system. That system makes entirely new things possible in the resolution arena.
    I have been working with a projekt where i use the resolution 3072 x 768 and making media for it in A|W Maya. Very interesting things happen when the format goes way beond 4:3 or 16:9.

Have you maybe been thinking of talking to Dataton? In my opinion it might be interessting to use the catalyst to drive the Watchout system in resolutions impossible to make with projectors and screens.

All the best /Abbe

You can use Catalyst to do exactly the same thing as Watchout with the only limitation being the 2048 limit of Quicktime.

Cheers

Toby

Catalyst was used this way on the Eurovision song contest last year.

There was a continuous curved screen with many projectors at the back of the stage.

Three images i took:

1. Stage from stalls the image at the back of the stage is from catalyst
    2. Images from stage on multiple catalyst monitors.
    3. Auditorium.

The total screen image was around 5000x768 i think.
    cant remember.
    It was as seemless as possible, some content files did playback with one continuous moving image across the entire backdrop.
    ----

This stuff is hard to do -irrespective of technology.
    Requires fantastic content people to make it work, and great technicians to align and set everything up.
    And as far as software is concerned - you have to operate very conservatively - doing only 2 or 3 layers at a time -
    Attached Images Attached Images