Thread: SDI Interfaces - Are they all Expensive

Hybrid View

Signal distro and resolution

Hi

I really hope that we can get the video guys inspiration enough to go beyond the PAL and NTSC resolution barrier as soon as possible.
    I think that i will try to promote and use CAT5/Fiber RGBHV extenders as distribution since most projectors and ledscreens has a RGBHV input.
    The cable is cheap and is widely available compared to SDI Coax.
    The extenders that can handle 1600x1200 at 75hz is fair priced.

Regarding the use of resolution...

As i get most discutions here, we would rather work in the Catalyst´s full resolution and thus make it easier to make new stuff in the design language.
    I´m sure that you are aware of Dataton´s WatchOut system. That system makes entirely new things possible in the resolution arena.
    I have been working with a projekt where i use the resolution 3072 x 768 and making media for it in A|W Maya. Very interesting things happen when the format goes way beond 4:3 or 16:9.

Have you maybe been thinking of talking to Dataton? In my opinion it might be interessting to use the catalyst to drive the Watchout system in resolutions impossible to make with projectors and screens.

All the best /Abbe

You can use Catalyst to do exactly the same thing as Watchout with the only limitation being the 2048 limit of Quicktime.

Cheers

Toby

Catalyst was used this way on the Eurovision song contest last year.

There was a continuous curved screen with many projectors at the back of the stage.

Three images i took:

1. Stage from stalls the image at the back of the stage is from catalyst
    2. Images from stage on multiple catalyst monitors.
    3. Auditorium.

The total screen image was around 5000x768 i think.
    cant remember.
    It was as seemless as possible, some content files did playback with one continuous moving image across the entire backdrop.
    ----

This stuff is hard to do -irrespective of technology.
    Requires fantastic content people to make it work, and great technicians to align and set everything up.
    And as far as software is concerned - you have to operate very conservatively - doing only 2 or 3 layers at a time -
    Attached Images Attached Images