Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Pixelmad control up to 60 Universes of DMX?

Quote Originally Posted by bswinnen
    Great. So you actualy can talk to individual IP addresses?
    That's good to know. At least this will not overload the nodes, however with 300Mhz processing power in our boxes we do have some margin
    About G5: I do not have a PixelMad. We did some test with a PixelDrive and that one only broadcast data. We only use it to test our nodes to real live situations.
    yes i actually talk to individual addresses. i automatically scan for artnet devices. they return their ip address, and i can send directly to that ip.
    you can select broadcast or routable from the artnet info window in the full screen gui. ( See attachment below )

you can download a fully working demo from this site.
    only thing that happens is a red bar output every few minutes.

by the way - i just did a show with 28 universes.
    and have possible spec for many more.

just used 2 of your boxes on zazie, and they appeared in this list just fine. i added your artnet ID to the latest build so your product number appears in this list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 5.png 
Views:	679 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	148  

Hi

We´re planning on installing Catalyst 4 with the PixelMad plugin in a night club here in Norway.
    I want PixelMad to control 30 ColorWeb LED nets. But I´m not sure how to set it up, connection-wise. The venue needs a cable plan, and since I´m a newbie, and nearing deadline, I would be most pleased with any assistance available!
    I know naught about DMX universes or light jockey vernacular, and my mother tongue is Norwegian, so keep it simple if possible ;-)

Is this it: Mac G5 server --> Ethernet HUB --> ColorBlock PSUs --> ColorWeb LED nets?

This is the first of what will be a long stream of nOOb questions on this site, I fear.. ;-)

3. The setup would look a bit like this I suppose:
    Mac G5 -> (Ethernet switch) -> ArtNet node -> DMX to ColorWeb panel
    Depending on the number of panels you use, you need a number of DMX universes.
    I think 1 panel = 48 DMX channels
    So maximum 10 panels on 1 universe.
    So 30 panels would mean 3 universes
    You probably need 1 additional universe to control your G5 from the desk.
    And maybe some more universes available for future plans.

Have a look at these nodes to convert the ArtNet to DMX:
    Luminex Ethernet-DMX8
    If you drop me an email on our Luminex website I can send your further detail about a possible setup.

colourweb and alkalite fixtures supported in f44

i put a test version up which does 60 universes.
    f44 pixelmad 16.

m147 has support for up to 250 universes in demo mode-
    this is possible with unicast artnet.

I will do some testing on 200+ universes as soon as I have some time for that...
    I will also try to find out how far you can go on braodcast when using 100 Mb/s infrastructure... - you should get 250 universes as well (have seen that work on other systems...)
    Olli
    ------
    Oliver Ranft, Aachen, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by OlliR View Post
    I will do some testing on 200+ universes as soon as I have some time for that...
    I will also try to find out how far you can go on braodcast when using 100 Mb/s infrastructure... - you should get 250 universes as well (have seen that work on other systems...)
    as long as the ethernet switch routes the data directly to the artnet boxes - it should work.
    You can send 1Gb ethernet out from catalyst as artnet fine - even on fibre backbone-
    what breaks artnet is sending too much data down the final cable between switch and artnet box - many artnet boxes only work at 10BT.
    This final stage needs to be routed.

200 Universes...

Has anyone tested 200 Universes so far?
    I guess it might also be a question of hardware - should be the 8xCore.

Highest number of universes I tested so far with pixelmad was 60. Worked fine on my MacBookPro. 25 fps without dropouts.

Right now planning an installation with 200 universes - and wondering if I should quote two media servers each running 100 universes rather than just one running 200 u.
    Olli
    ------
    Oliver Ranft, Aachen, Germany

10. Si, that post was from 2005 - I hope he's got it sorted by now!

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk