I just got the specs for a big LED installation in autumn 2005 on my desk.

I am working quite close with the developer of the LED panels and we came to the discussion how to control such a big LED setup.

I put pixelmad in the game not really knowing if it could handle an installation of that size (given a maximum of 40 Universes on the pixelmad-website) - but anyway I would not know any other control application to handle this...

Requirements for control software would be approx. 60 Universes of DMX and a pixel array of at least 200 x 200.

Question: Would pixelmad be the right software to control this? And what would be the hardware requirements for the mac running pixelmad...
Or would it help to have an array of pixelmad servers all getting the same commands but controlling other parts of the LED matrix... - if so what about syncing...

In my personal opinion there is no other way to treat an installation big as this other than as video data... Talking about preproduction in Aftereffects rather than programming content on site...

You could not come close to the same results using generic matrix effects - even given you have a console capable of controlling 60 Universes...

As said above all of this is in an early projecting state - this is just a technology check to see what is possible...

Olli
--
Oliver Ranft, Aachen, Germany