Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: System Locks up overnight

1. Question System Locks up overnight

With Catalyst 3.3 Pro, OS 10.3.6, and the latest ATI software if I leave the system on over night in Catalyst it will lock up the entire computer. However it will only lock up if catalyst is running but not playing back video. If it is playing video it keeps on going.

To restart the computer I have to hold the power button down to shut down the computer. Its that crashed. Also the fans are running on high.

Help,

Tyler

http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richa...newthread&f=6#
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

3. yes it sure is but only when I am not on the show with it.

It has actually gotten worse apparently.

On the last show the machine seems to loose the SCSI drive but will regain it if you wiggle everything.

Its not a software problem other than maybe an OS issue.

We are going to start over with the os and then we will start replacing hardware.

tyler
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

sounds like a scsi problem

possibly a terminator issue.

try getting the terminators i recommended.

r

5. its only happening on 1 of our 4 machines. which ones do you like?
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

sounds even more like a scsi or cabling problem.

try swapping the cables, or removing the cables from the machine thats not working correctly.

i think its these terminators.

they mount directly in front of the drive in a pass-through configuration inside a g5 - if you are using internal drives.

ultra 320:
    http://www.tmcscsi.com/cgi-local/Sof...e81+1116763979

ultra160:
    http://www.tmcscsi.com/cgi-local/Sof...e81+1116657592

8. well i have replaced the SCSI cables on the 2 older machines and the "lemon" still locked up on me but durring rehersal. I am now going to swap out the SCSI card. The odd part is the fans defaulting to high. Or does this happen any time a G5 locks up?

Tyler
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr
    well i have replaced the SCSI cables on the 2 older machines and the "lemon" still locked up on me but durring rehersal. I am now going to swap out the SCSI card. The odd part is the fans defaulting to high. Or does this happen any time a G5 locks up?

Tyler
    fans going high means somekind of hardware or operating system fault.
    That means the OS has stopped running!

This is not a catalyst software fault.

Hugh seems to think that there are wierd permissions issues in the operating system installs as well, that might cause this.

Send him an email.

Hi Guys,

Just saw this thread.

I had this once.

My machine was left on ( I cannot remember if movies were playing or not).

I heard the fans speed gradually increase and keep increasing.

I have come across this behaviour before when I fitted a bad Atto SCSI card whilst upgrading a G5 to a SCSI drive; (fitting a good card solved the problem).

Hugh described it as a "kernel panic".

The odd thing is it happened when I was doing absolutely nothing at all with the machine but I was in the room working on something else.

Pretty sure this was on G21.

The interesting thing is the machine it occurred on doesn't have a SCSI drive, just a WD Raptor (Richard its the one you gave us).

At the time I just hit the reset button sharpish as the speed of the fans was increasing in an unhealthy manner.

It has not occurred since and I though nothing more of it until now.

Rob