Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Usable Graphics Cards

sounds like something not being initialised correctly either by me or the os.

doesnt seem to do it every time...

1st time it loaded with a cat-settings file I was working with and it crashed straight away - reset the msc and re-named the cat settings file before starting catalyst again ad it was fine.

Then closed catalyst, swapped back to the cat settings file i was working on, and catalyst opened fine. Will try some other things to see if I can esablish a pattern.... seems a bit random at the moment....

settings often change between versions.

its possible a setting from a previous version did something wierd?

R

Cat settings files are all from the new version 3.3g21 - doesn't seem to make a difference with old ones either

Have tried old 3.2f29 files and all settings seem to be ported across - with the exception of all the DMX In device selection/address boxes - all blank, no addresses/devices configured... - sync id's and rs232 codes, naming, remote setup all ok.

Its interesting that the presets that i was experimenting with from another cat-settings file, also seem to have incorporated themselves in to this one too - even though the cat-settings file is a version before presets! - That said, i've just moved the catalyst-preset.txt file. and they're gone.... (obvious!)

Have just done some tests... Using a Cat settings file that has some files on an external firewire drive.

If the drive is not connected when the mac starts up and then Catalyst is started - it brings up all the screens, but then crashed just before it starts to scan files.

However, if the external firewire drive is present (powered on) when the mac boots up - and catalst starts - there's no problem.

Although, It does seem a bit random as to whether it crashes first time or not... so not really sure if it is an external drive issue

Just re-booted and restarted 4 times and it only crashed out 1st and 2nd time - although i did nothing different... It only seems to crash at catalyst startup - never had a problem once running. Will let you know anything I work out...

could be a missing folder bug.

if it crashes when the drive is turned off.

i generally dont use removable firewire drives to hold media files.

The grey 'crash' screens on start up are kernel panics. Usually this means the Mac is not happy with a particular hardware configuration. You can fault find this by removing suspect hardware devices (including graphics cards - just replace it with one you know works), until it stops doing a kernel panic.

It's useful to make sure that you have all the latest drivers appropriate for your OS.

Hugh

i think the problem in this thread is a catalyst preferences crash - rather than a kernel panic.

we seem to be seeing an issue when a firewire disc has content, and the disc is not present when the application is started.

i havent had a chance to look at this yet.

I would favor the missing links/drive theory -

I have with other cat-settings files that were created on a HES catalyst with an internal secondary drive, and when loaded on to my system, the drive obviously isnt there... (hense the copy on my firewire drive) So once the correct folder path is selected, it works - Although, it doesnt crash every time before the correct folder path is selected... luckily intermittent..!

However, I do have a M-audio Detta Dio 2496 card in the mac that i use with SAMSC - so i'll remove it to see if it makes a difference and make sure i;ve got the up to date drivers. I noticed a lot of log entries in the system logs when i was trying to find out what might be causing the crash... But I dont think it will make a lot of diference - it's only loading catalyst that seems to crash it. (intermittently...)

Will let you know the outcomes (thanks so far....)

S

(PS is there a spell check in this forum?)

i dont think there is a spell check.