Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usable Graphics Cards

Usable Graphics Cards

Hi - Wondering if theres any other graphics cards that can be used with Catalyst, apart from the 9800, not for content playback of output, but just for remote monitoring and remote commands of other servers

Scenario is:
    I have a G4 500 dual processor mac with its original ATIRage128Pro(AGP) and 512 RAM - so its not really good enough to playback content - but I have used it to monitor the G5 catalyst servers via ethernet (situated away from the production desk) to send remote commands, move content etc. However, it does crash out sometimes (due to the graphics card)

I dont want to splash out hundreds on a 9800, because the mac isn't really fast enough for content use - but is there a compromise, where I could get a cheaper card, that wouldnt crash out the mac so often when using catalyst as a remote tool?

(for content playback, I have use of decent G5 macs, but its a bit of a waste using one for remote monitoring etc)

any suggestions welcome.....

thats quite an old mac. 3-4 years.

the connector technology has changed several times in that timeframe.

from pci to agp and so forth.

the graphics cards that ati currently sells are listed here:

http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=31

you might be able to use the radeon 9000 for mac g4 only - this is an agp card.
    or you might be able to use a straight pci card- the 9200- i have never tested with this card.

you might email or call ati and ask them which card is compatible with your old g4. its such a long time ago - i cant remember.

ati vs nvidia

you cannot buy any nvidia graphics card - retail, all nvidia cards so far have been only available from apple as oem cards.

9600 in g4 modification.

some guys modded a 9600 to fit in a g4....

this is quite a crazy idea.

http://www.techseekers.net/modules.p...wcontent&id=71

radeon 8500

The radeon 8500 card would probably have been the best card to put into your g4.
    these are no longer sold.

i used these cards a lot last year.
    they were the recommended card.

Thanks for the info Richard - looked at the 9600 modification idea - simple and quite an idea (if i had a spare 9600 laying arround).... - is the PC version the same as the MAC version - or does it address the hardware in a different way?

I;ve managed to find a cheap 8500 for a G4, so will let you know the results - thanks for all the suggestions tho

Cheers

go for the 8500 if you can get it.

they were good cards.

PC cards do not work in macs.

Radeon 8500

Hi Richard,

Got my 2nd hand ebay radeon 8500 card today, and with all the driver updates it works like a dream in real 2 output display mode.

By putting it in the startup items and selecting full screen startup, it started correctly with no finder bar left visible (other thread)

However, it did once startup and give me the grey crashout screen as soon as catalyst had started. Also has crashed out once while attempting to maximise an output screen too. (but I am running on an old mac.. and with no dongle)

About to figure out all the new preset stuff, so will let you know how it goes... any suggestions otherwise to avoid grey 'crash' screens?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P
    Hi Richard,
    which os are you using?

OS 10.3.6 on a Dual 500MHz PowerPC G4 with 512MB SDRAM
    testing v3.3 g21 without a dongle
    AGP Radeon8500 64M running 2 monitors all updated rom and drivers v4.4.2
    Basically everything is up to date with Software Update.

However, its been opn for about 20 hours now, doing some test stuff with presets running and it hasn't crashed yet - only seems to be just after startup at the moment