Thread: Usable Graphics Cards

Hybrid View

radeon 8500

The radeon 8500 card would probably have been the best card to put into your g4.
    these are no longer sold.

i used these cards a lot last year.
    they were the recommended card.

Thanks for the info Richard - looked at the 9600 modification idea - simple and quite an idea (if i had a spare 9600 laying arround).... - is the PC version the same as the MAC version - or does it address the hardware in a different way?

I;ve managed to find a cheap 8500 for a G4, so will let you know the results - thanks for all the suggestions tho

Cheers

go for the 8500 if you can get it.

they were good cards.

PC cards do not work in macs.

Radeon 8500

Hi Richard,

Got my 2nd hand ebay radeon 8500 card today, and with all the driver updates it works like a dream in real 2 output display mode.

By putting it in the startup items and selecting full screen startup, it started correctly with no finder bar left visible (other thread)

However, it did once startup and give me the grey crashout screen as soon as catalyst had started. Also has crashed out once while attempting to maximise an output screen too. (but I am running on an old mac.. and with no dongle)

About to figure out all the new preset stuff, so will let you know how it goes... any suggestions otherwise to avoid grey 'crash' screens?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P
    Hi Richard,
    which os are you using?

OS 10.3.6 on a Dual 500MHz PowerPC G4 with 512MB SDRAM
    testing v3.3 g21 without a dongle
    AGP Radeon8500 64M running 2 monitors all updated rom and drivers v4.4.2
    Basically everything is up to date with Software Update.

However, its been opn for about 20 hours now, doing some test stuff with presets running and it hasn't crashed yet - only seems to be just after startup at the moment

sounds like something not being initialised correctly either by me or the os.

The grey 'crash' screens on start up are kernel panics. Usually this means the Mac is not happy with a particular hardware configuration. You can fault find this by removing suspect hardware devices (including graphics cards - just replace it with one you know works), until it stops doing a kernel panic.

It's useful to make sure that you have all the latest drivers appropriate for your OS.

Hugh