Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't Flip

Can't Flip

Ok, I don't think this is specifically a Catalyst bug but I am hoping someone can shed some light on the matter.

I have 2 x G5s

The first I bought to upgrade a G4 Catalyst to version 3. It came with the stock 9600 graphics card and has 1.5 gig of ram. It worked fine and by using a raptor as my content drive I was very happy with the performance and put of upgrading to a 9800 for another time.

As work has increased I have got a second machine with a 9800 and otherwise the same spec. This has become my main Catalyst machine that lives in the case. The first is now my production machine that lives in the office.

My new machine has exhibited the following problems

1. When you rotate an image or movie you don't get a reverse side just black. This is a pain because I do a loit of stuff over multiple screens and a great effect is to flip the odd outputs so that jumbacks blend edge to edge.
    My original machine and other systems I have hired all do this fine.

2. On the last show I did I was getting the flipped images to work fine until I used the cylinder in visualfx on a different layer. Then the flipped layer went to black.

3. After deciding not to use the flipped effect and instead enlarging the one file to cover both outputs I noticed a ripple or tearing on that layer evertime I changed to a new file. The tearing would go away after one or 2 loops. This problem seemed to sort itself out after a rerstart.

My gut feeling is that there seems to be some issues with the machine talking to the 9800 and perhaps an Open GL issue.

As I said I don't know that this is a software problem but I thought it best to post it in case others come up against the same thing.

Once I check the machine again at he office I will try swapping graphics cards as I still have this machines original 9600. I will check drivers etc. as this was all done at the shop I bought the machine from. Then I guess it will be off to the Mac doctor for a check up.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Toby

10.3.3 on both machines

Quote Originally Posted by tharding
    2. On the last show I did I was getting the flipped images to work fine until I used the cylinder in visualfx on a different layer. Then the flipped layer went to black.
    that does indeed appear to be a bug....

i have fixed this.
    should make it out in the next release which is supposed to be happening very very very soon.

Thanks Richard!

Does that mean it is likely to have been the difference between the 9600 & 9800 that was the cause? Or do I still potentially have a hardware issue that explains the tearing?

Cheers

Toby

Thanks Richard!

Does that mean it is likely to have been the difference between the 9600 & 9800 that was the cause? Or do I still potentially have a hardware issue that explains the tearing?

Cheers

Toby
    flipping was a very simple mistake i made.

tearing is something apple did in the drivers that affects things when huge or slow movies are drawn.
    and you were using huge movies.
    they changed something between 10.3.2 and 10.3.3
    its possible i might have to change something to try and fix this.

Actually the movies I was using that exhibited the tearing were just stock 720 x 576 Jumpbacks in DV or PhotoJpeg.

The big Animation codec files were fine.

I did have those movies zoomed in as I was displaying over multiple screens so maybe it was the enlargement that the computer was getting upset about.

As I said, it seemed to right itself after a restart.

Cheers

Toby

Actually the movies I was using that exhibited the tearing were just stock 720 x 576 Jumpbacks in DV or PhotoJpeg.

As I said, it seemed to right itself after a restart.

Cheers

Toby
    there seems to be a little instability after restarting in graphics timing.
    i need to get you to try new software, but that will have to wait until after official release.

then maybe we can work on some beta builds.

No problem

Cheers

Toby