Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre Loading Graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Butterfly
    This doesn't seem too practical to me. Catalyst specifically does not use buffering techniques, so adding more RAM doesn't make any difference.

I tend to use .psd files for transparency stuff. If you have a nice Ultra 320 SCSI RAID array, then using mulitple layers of Animation codec movies becomes a possibility, and Animation supports an alpha channel.

Hugh
    using a ram disc, is different from using more ram.

ram discs might be useful.

i might add buffering strategies in the future. the problem was- how to manage them, and not spend minutes loading up images....

I am used to using the Macromedia Director preload function which can take some time but if you plan for it always meant a sequence ran smoothly.

I did my show last night using the Animation Codec file as suggested and it was a vast improvement. Using maximum resolution as I was projecting across multiple screens there was only the slightest perceptible halt as I changed frames. Most times I didn't even notice once we were into the throws of the show.

This was a major difference form using the Photoshop files that I had in the past. Also Drop shadows work so much better via Final Cut as you can set the Alpha type.

The workflow of compiling still graphics via Final Cut was fine and is almost as quick as just dumping Photoshop files into a library folder.

Thankyou for the help and advice!!

Cheers

Toby

Quote Originally Posted by tharding
    I did my show last night using the Animation Codec file as suggested and it was a vast improvement. Using maximum resolution as I was projecting across multiple screens there was only the slightest perceptible halt as I changed frames. Most times I didn't even notice once we were into the throws of the show.
    What resolution did you render your animation files at?

Do you know how big the file was, and how big each frame was?

R

The longest dimension of any frame was 2048 - more importantly in width as I was projecting across 2 screens. All of the Logos I was using were landscape. I find that if I go with the highest resolution it gives me more versatility with slow zooms and pans across the image.

Some files were the full 2048 x 2048 whereas others were 2048 x 768.

A quicktime with 18 different images in it was only about 6-8MB with each logo taking up the default 12 sec. This was far more efficient than the original photshop files with their layering. The main thing was having to do a save as with layers switched off in Photoshop if you want to keep layer styles like drop shadows.

Cheers

Toby

Richard

Just wondering if you had a chance to experiment with the Ram Disk at all?

I tried it on my system and managed to get 7 layers all running at 25 fps. The only reason I didn't try 8 was that I only created a 512 Mb Disk (I have 1.5 gig on my machines).

Obviously the biggest bootleneck is going to be the 8gig limit on RAM in the G5 but still, the ability to place some content on a RAM Disk can help. Especially if it is a consistent background file or the large graphic files I mentioned earlier in this thread.

To have this functionality built into the software would be awesome.

Cheers

Toby